Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:22 AM   #1
Default My first post and a question

Hi everyone, This is my first post. I just got my first digital camera, a Nikon L120. I am an old retied guy and I have always shot 35mm film...Canon A1, Nikon's etc., so this digital stuff is very new to me. So far I really like what I see...shoot as much as you want, don't like it, hit delete and shoot again. Can't do that with film. Question: I have read somewhere that the newer digital cameras of today like my Nikon L120 that has a rather large 14.1 megapixal count combined with a "small" CCD sensor can actually hurt picture quality. I was told that by dropping the megapixal count down from 14 MP to lets say 8 MP can result in sharper, higher resolution pictures. Is this true ? I don't ever plan on printing them any larger than a 8"x10". Most of my prints will be 4"x6". Your thoughts, opinions on this. Thanks.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:47 AM   #2

Yes, sometimes when you have a lot of pixels packed into a smaller sensor, that can increase noise as ISO speeds get higher (similar to film grain that you'd see using higher speed film). But, you're not normally going to be looking at images at 100% size anyway

When images are downsized, that can help to mask any appearance of noise, because the pixels are averaged together into fewer pixels making up the downsized image. But, I would always shoot at your cameras highest available resolution to get the best quality. IOW, do not choose a lower resolution setting on the camera.

Note that when you print images, that's not like trying to look at images at 100% size on screen (which would be a very large size) where any noise may be more noticeable.

Instead, the printer driver software is resizing the images into the desired print size and printing them at the highest dpi the printer supports. Let it do any resizing for you. Don't shoot at lower resolutions.

Now, for posting images online, you may want to downsize them to something that's more easily viewable without any scrolling needed. For example, to something like 1024x768. Many image editors can do that for you (downsize your images).

Also, some of the hosting services will automatically downsize images to smaller viewing choices for you so that you don't even need to bother downsizing them yourself.

But, in any event, I'd always shoot at the highest resolution and quality settings supported by your camera, and I'd always save the original, full size images. That way, you've got the best image you can start out with for any other purpose (printing, downsizing for web viewing, etc.).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:49 PM   #3

Thanks for your answer to my question. You explained it very well and it makes perfect logical sense.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote