Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 21, 2012, 9:41 PM   #1
Default White Balance

I took a general intro to digital photography and the instructor suggested that we all keep a sheet of white paper in our bags for manually setting white balance. I go to various photography sites and see numerous devices for manually setting the white balance. What's a boy to do?
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:03 AM   #2

First, not all "white" paper is white, especially if you've been carrying it around for a while.

I have an 18% gray lens cleaning cloth that's always served my need for setting a custom white balance.

If you really want to carry around a sheet of white paper, make it a sheet of your favorite photo paper. That way, even if the white isn't exactly right, all the other colors will be.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:48 AM   #3

Go with gray, rather than white. If you happen to overexpose slightly when setting the WB, the camera doesn't see the color cast correctly, and you may end up introducing a color shift, rather than correcting it.
I often correct after the fact, though. If taking a series of shots in odd lighting, I'll include my gray card in the first of the sequence, correct in PP and apply the setting to the rest of the batch.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote