Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:04 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
If you want wide and fast, the canon with the ef-s 17-55 2.8 is a great lens. That is almost a L level lens for APS-c. If you do not need a constant 2.8 the 15-85 is a very good lens with a great fl range for aps-c. Sony does not have any e mounts in these lenses IQ level.
Yea, here's why I'm torn. I love the portability of the Nex-7 and how much smaller it would be. Being that the lenses are cheaper for the Nex, I could also have multiple lenses versus one or two with my current setup with Canon. If I do stay with my 60D, I'd be buying a 17-55 2.8.

If you were in my boat, what would you do? Sell everything and get a Nex? Or buy the 17-55 2.8? My main subjects are landscape and urban shots, as well as a few portraits.

Also for reference: If I go the Sony route, it would be the Sigma 19mm 2.8, Sony 50 1.8, and a Rokinon fish eye lens.

Last edited by adamvk; Jul 22, 2012 at 11:08 PM.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:23 PM   #32

Well the canon down right has the better lenses, more resolving power. I still do not think any of the nex lens options out there does that sensor justice. So if you are spoil with L Lens quality, the sigma and sonly lenses will be a let down. They are like most of the ef-s lenses out on the market, marketed for consumers grade buyers. Reason they are so inexpensive compare to CZ and G lenses.

I went through the same decision as you, I went with the oly pen as my travel setup, as they had the lenses to fit my needs. And I have the 60D for when I go do plan shooting.

Like the old saying goes, there is not prefect camera or camera system. Just need to find out what compromises you want to live with.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Well the canon down right has the better lenses, more resolving power. I still do not think any of the nex lens options out there does that sensor justice. So if you are spoil with L Lens quality, the sigma and sonly lenses will be a let down. They are like most of the ef-s lenses out on the market, marketed for consumers grade buyers. Reason they are so inexpensive compare to CZ and G lenses.

I went through the same decision as you, I went with the oly pen as my travel setup, as they had the lenses to fit my needs. And I have the 60D for when I go do plan shooting.

Like the old saying goes, there is not prefect camera or camera system. Just need to find out what compromises you want to live with.
I know! It's a touch decision, I'm having a hard time with it. I wish I had enough money to have both my Canon gear as well as a Nex-7.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:31 PM   #34

Eos M and get the adapter. The report said it is going a be a good one. Who knows canon might have a evf for it down the road.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:33 PM   #35

Quote:
Eos M and get the adapter. The report said it is going a be a good one. Who knows canon might have a evf for it down the road.
Yea, I just saw that on Canon Rumors. I'll have to consider it. Although my gripe already with it is that there's hardly any buttons on it.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:42 PM   #36

It is going to be an interesting year for mirroless with canon coming out finally.

When I went to mirrorless, lenses were what drove my decision. Great sensor can only do so much, the lens is what drives the image. And some brands choose a consumer path, while others chose a photographers and consumer path by offering both high end lenses and consumer grade.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:53 PM   #37

Quote:
It is going to be an interesting year for mirroless with canon coming out finally.

When I went to mirrorless, lenses were what drove my decision. Great sensor can only do so much, the lens is what drives the image. And some brands choose a consumer path, while others chose a photographers and consumer path by offering both high end lenses and consumer grade.
Indeed. It will be interesting to see if this mirrorless "fad" (Can I call it a fad?) will stay around or not.

And now after reading around more, I'm learning more towards buying the Canon 17-55 f 2.8.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:06 AM   #38

The mirror less will stay around oly and panny and sony has really made it a viable market. It will be the system consumers looking to move up and remain compact who are not looking for photographer quality. But still a strong step up form the digicam.

The biggest issue with mirror less is that there is such as short flange as the whole systems selling point is compact. That it makes it really hard to develop compact lenses to produce a great image circle on larger aps-c sensors without making the lens bigger. And the mirror less buyer will not be wanting to hall a lens around that is the same size as a dslr lens. That is why you do not see any 70-200 2.8 or even 70-300 3.5-5.6 for mirror less aps-c. They require large lenses.