Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:37 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 239
Default Replace DSLR with a NEX-7?

Hey there,

So I've gone in the last two years from a Sony a230 all the way to a Canon 60D with a Canon 24-70L. However, now I'm thinking that since I don't have much time for photography anyways, that I'd possibly downsize a bit. I'm considering selling all my gear and getting a Sony NEX 7. How in your experiences is the image quality? Comparable to dslr quality? Anyone have thoughts on the similarities/differences between that and a dslr?

This is my Flickr, http://www.flickr.com/photos/7577915...7629147746421/

Do you think I could get images of the same quality with a NEX 7?

Thank you all very much!

Also, if you have any other suggestions, please let me know! I could sell all of my stuff for around 2k probably, and would prefer to keep all of my new stuff under 1.5k if possible.

Also, my reasoning for considering this is that although I love photography, and I love my camera, it is a very large camera. I feel like I'd shoot a LOT more if I had something smaller, but I don't want to compromise on image quality. My 60D usually ends up living in my Pelican case in my closet most of the time because otherwise it would take up too much room on my desk.


ALSO, this is a duplicate thread of one I made in the Sony NEX forum, I apologize for that. After posting the thread there, I realized the Sony NEX thread has very few visitors. The thread there could be deleted.
__________________
60D w/ Grip. Canon 24-70L. Canon 50 f/1.8. Speedlite 430EX II. Macbook Pro.

Last edited by adamvk; Jul 21, 2012 at 8:41 PM.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Calicajun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Quartz Hill, CA
Posts: 3,165
Default

Switching to a NEX-7 from a DSLR is something my wife and I have been thinking about also. The NEX cameras have a APS-c sensor, smaller, lighter, and easier to carry around. If your not making or trying to make money from your photography then (to me anyway) switching to the NEX-7 is a real good move.
__________________
Comments always welcome.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2012, 9:04 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 12,887
Default

The NEX-7 is an extraordinary camera. Unfortunately, none of the zoom lenses for Sony's E-Mount do it justice. And if you're going to go with one of the A-Mount adapters, you might as well go with an A77.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • A good camera helps a good photographer; it doesn't make one.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 2:20 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Switching to a NEX-7 from a DSLR is something my wife and I have been thinking about also. The NEX cameras have a APS-c sensor, smaller, lighter, and easier to carry around. If your not making or trying to make money from your photography then (to me anyway) switching to the NEX-7 is a real good move.
Yea, it's a tough call, but seems to becoming more and more attractive. I mostly do photography for a a hobby, usually for vacations, and various events with my friends. I also like to go to various "photo excursions." I used to have a small job doing photography, but that's basically over now so I'm thinking I'm "free" as far as my camera choices go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The NEX-7 is an extraordinary camera. Unfortunately, none of the zoom lenses for Sony's E-Mount do it justice. And if you're going to go with one of the A-Mount adapters, you might as well go with an A77.
Yea, this is an issue for me, I'm looking to see if I can find any other better micro four thirds camera solutions, but ultimately I kept coming back to the nex-7. Also, I used to have a Sony Alpha a55 which I loved, but it was stolen from me, so I've always kind of wanted to return back to that.

What about third party nex lenses? I know but Sigma and Tamron make a few.
__________________
60D w/ Grip. Canon 24-70L. Canon 50 f/1.8. Speedlite 430EX II. Macbook Pro.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:23 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
wave01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North West England
Posts: 1,655
Default

Hi what I would do is go to shop and take your current camera and take identical pictures and compare them.
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 3:34 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
shoturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Frankfurt AM
Posts: 11,348
Default

none of the e mount lenses from the 3rd party right now are great either. Tamron 18-200 is no better then the A mount one. Which was consumer grade.

sony does not want to make high grade lenses for the nex. They know their target market. And high end optics does not seem to be in demand for NEX buyers. Like it was mention, none of the e mount lenses does the nex justice.
__________________
Super Frequent Flyer, no joke. Ex Patriot and loving it.
Canon Eos 60D, T1i/500D, Eos1, Eos 630, Olympus EPL-1, and a part time Pentax K-X shooter.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:04 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 12,887
Default

The Sony E-Mount 18-200 is pretty good for a superzoom, but it does not perform well enough to compliment the 24MP sensor, and unfortunately, it's the best E-mount zoom lens so far. Sony's new SEL18200LE is a dead ringer for the Tamron. It's smaller, lighter, and cheaper, but nobody's tested it yet.

Many people are capturing some amazing images with the NEX-7, but they're using primes.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • A good camera helps a good photographer; it doesn't make one.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 9:09 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 12,887
Default

Correction: SLRGear.com just posted test results of the new SEL18200LE. It's not as good as the original, bigger, heavier, more expensive SEL18200.

I'm tempted to conclude that the E-Mount's short Flange focal distance generally results in more chromatic aberration and field curvature.
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • A good camera helps a good photographer; it doesn't make one.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.

Last edited by TCav; Jul 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:24 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave01 View Post
Hi what I would do is go to shop and take your current camera and take identical pictures and compare them.
Yea, probably a good idea. Unfortunately I feel like photos inside Fry's won't be much of a shooting comparison challenge, but it definitely is a good idea to at least play with one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
none of the e mount lenses from the 3rd party right now are great either. Tamron 18-200 is no better then the A mount one. Which was consumer grade.

sony does not want to make high grade lenses for the nex. They know their target market. And high end optics does not seem to be in demand for NEX buyers. Like it was mention, none of the e mount lenses does the nex justice.
What about the Alpha adapter mount? Would this be a good idea? Also with these adapters, does AF still work okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
The Sony E-Mount 18-200 is pretty good for a superzoom, but it does not perform well enough to compliment the 24MP sensor, and unfortunately, it's the best E-mount zoom lens so far. Sony's new SEL18200LE is a dead ringer for the Tamron. It's smaller, lighter, and cheaper, but nobody's tested it yet.

Many people are capturing some amazing images with the NEX-7, but they're using primes.
Yea, I also don't like that the aperture is 3.5 at the low end. I'm a snob, I usually only use lenses with 2.8 or lower. How's the 16 mm pancake lens? I'm thinking I would get something like the 16mm pancake for most things, and then sometime of zoom lens, and then a Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 fish eye lens just for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Correction: SLRGear.com just posted test results of the new SEL18200LE. It's not as good as the original, bigger, heavier, more expensive SEL18200.

I'm tempted to conclude that the E-Mount's short Flange focal distance generally results in more chromatic aberration and field curvature.
Hmm...Ok, good to know, so that lens is a no-go.

Also, another question, since it had a APS-C size sensor, is the crop ratio the same as APS-C dslrs? Basically I'm wondering if 30mm on my 60D will be 30mm on the Nex-7?
__________________
60D w/ Grip. Canon 24-70L. Canon 50 f/1.8. Speedlite 430EX II. Macbook Pro.

Last edited by adamvk; Jul 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM.
adamvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2012, 12:00 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
TCav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Washington, DC, Metro Area, Maryland
Posts: 12,887
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamvk View Post
... since it had a APS-C size sensor, is the crop ratio the same as APS-C dslrs? Basically I'm wondering if 30mm on my 60D will be 30mm on the Nex-7?
Trick question?

The crop factor of the NEX is 1.5X, while the crop factor of the 60D is 1.6X.

A 30mm lens on a NEX has a 35mm equivalent focal length of 45mm, but on a 60D, it would have a 35mm equivalent focal length of 48mm (in round numbers all along the way.)
__________________
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • A good camera helps a good photographer; it doesn't make one.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
0
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:04 AM.




SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2