Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:25 AM   #1
Default Pentax K 30 DSLR Video Operation

I took a video with my camera held totally in the vertical position so the sense of height in the building I was viewing could be seen. When I went to play back, it came out on the screen sideways and I could find no way to turn it aright. Then in reading the manual it appears to me that you can only take a video in the horizontal position for proper playback. Is that true? Thanks for any help you may give me.
cecilbdmims is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2012, 9:53 AM   #2

I've made that mistake before (using portrait orientation to shoot video). ;-)

I'd suggest using the VLC Media Player from http://www.videolan.org to play it.

To Rotate the video for portrait oriented playback with VLC, go to Tools>Effects and Filters, select Video Effects, Then check the Transform box on the Basic tab and select Rotate by 270 Degrees (or you may need to use a different choice, depending on the way you rotated the camera).

In any event, video taken by cameras is designed to work in a landscape orientation for playback on typical HD (widescreen format) displays. If you take video in portrait orientation, you'll need to use a player that lets you rotate the video and/or use a video editor to rotate it and save it for you so it can be played back on a typical wide format display.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote