Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Can you and do you simultaneously capture stills and video?
I have it, but never use it. 0 0%
I have it, and use it occasionally. 1 16.67%
I have it, and use it frequently. 0 0%
I don't have it, and don't want it. 5 83.33%
I don't have it, and think I might use it. 0 0%
don't have it, and desperately want it. 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 14, 2012, 6:29 PM   #1
Default Simultaneously Record Stills and Video?

There are a number of people that seem to be proponents of recording still images while simultaneously recording videos in the same camera. And while there are a few cameras that can do this, some want dSLRs to be able to do it.

I understand the attraction. Large aperture lenses, almost exclusively the domain of dSLRs, can record images in very low light and/or with very shallow depths of field, and recording videos with them could be reminiscent of Stanley Kubrick's Barry Lyndon, in which many of the interior scenes were shot in nothing but candlelight using special Zeiss 50mm f/0.7 (Yes, that's right.) lenses developed for NASA's Apollo missions.

But I contend that you compose differently for video than you do for stills. Also, frequently, the optimal gear for each is different. For instance, for video, you'd want a good zoom range, so a superzoom lens is a good idea. But given the relatively poor resolution of video, the inherent softness and significant chromatic aberration of superzoom lenses isn't a issue. Also, those lenses are inherently dim, so while shooting indoors, you're bound to get significant motion blur due to subject movement in stills that won't show up in video. So even if it were possible, I think few would find it useful.

I really don't think it's ever going to happen, at least not without a major re-think or two. And even if something does come to market, I don't think the people that think they want it will be pleased with the results.

What do you think?
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2012, 7:23 PM   #2

Definitely not on my list of desired features. I can conceive of some uses, such as weddings, where hiring a videographer as well as a photographer is not in the budget.
IMO, the elements of good video seldom coincide with those for good stills.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:50 AM   #3

RED Epic's can do it
And it can use your Canon L or Nikon lenses including the in lens stabilization.

Every video frame can be extracted as a RedCode Raw 14mp still image file.
Only cost you 50K$ to get a basic RED setup going!

Personally have absolutely no use for that feature.

Imaging is all about light and your ability to sculpt it.
Equipment is just a secondary nuisance.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 9:17 AM   #4

I switched to an SLR because video takes too much time to edit. When I found that I hadn't finished the last vacation video before the new vacation was upon me, I threw in the towel. I have no interest in taking video anymore.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:17 PM   #5

I have used video 3 times against 4,000+ photos taken with my Fujifilm. I now have a Pentax K20D that doesn't have video capabilities, great!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Fujifilm HS20-EXR & Pentax K20D
18-55 mm DA & 28-200 Sigma 3.5/5.6 ex SLR

My Flickr account
Mito is offline   Reply With Quote