Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 3, 2012, 6:12 PM   #1

Default Hurricane Sandy

I live in Staten Island and just wanted to share some photos I shot on Tuesday, the day after the storm. These pictures were taken about a mile from the shoreline. These pictures are from my neighborhood. The shoreline is a total disaster area.
http://frodge.smugmug.com/Weather/

These are the first pictures I took with my new T3i and a 50mm prime I received last week.
Heinrich Hausler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 4, 2012, 1:36 PM   #2

G'day HH

Thx for showing me a part of your world
You / your district has certainly copped lots of wind with all those trees down, tho it seems that your houses survived lots better

I like the mono images - makes 'em seem very much like newspaper images > well done

The main images we see on the tv news is lots of houses washed away by big seas - I can't remember exactly where these houses are - but I can't imagine how the local authorities allowed the building of houses so close to the beach anyway. Seems a bit odd to me, 'coz even blind-freddie knows the power of storms ...

Anyway - thx again & I hope all goes well with the returning to normal
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 2:28 PM   #3

Thanks for sharing the photos. It looks like the property damage in your neighborhood was moderate, but frustrating and expensive for all that. The loss of those mature trees will be felt for a long time to come. I hope you and yours are well, and things get back to normal soon.

Phil; waterfront property of any kind here in the States, is very valuable, and there are people who have rebuilt on the same spot several times. It may be dumb, but if you're rich enough, you don't have to be smart.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 1:59 PM   #4

@Brian

Thanks mate - I can understand. ... love the last sentence

Regards, Phil
Old Nov 5, 2012, 4:29 PM   #5

I love the images except that I would have keep a majority of them in color not mono. I shot for a local newspaper and those are the exact images I would have go out and shot myself. Great job in image selection, subject selection and composition. Some pretty powerful images there.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2012, 2:52 PM   #6

G'day all > an update from me

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
Thanks for sharing the photos. It looks like the property damage in your neighborhood was moderate, but frustrating and expensive for all that. The loss of those mature trees will be felt for a long time to come. I hope you and yours are well, and things get back to normal soon.

Phil; waterfront property of any kind here in the States, is very valuable, and there are people who have rebuilt on the same spot several times. It may be dumb, but if you're rich enough, you don't have to be smart. brian

I am reading the on-line version of the Sydney Morning Herald [australia] to see a note about a Google app to help in disasters. What the SMH article also shows is satellite images of the NY region ... I am amazed/appalled at the damage shown

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...106-28v7m.html

So - I hope that all those affected do get back on their feet okay and soon

Regards, Phil
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:52 PM   #7

Thanks for sharing the photos !

I live in south Jersey , 35 miles NW of Atlantc City. I know it;s hard to believe, but Sandy caused almost no damage here in Gloucester County. I am amazed by the photos and video (www.NJ.com) I've seen of locations 50 or less miles from my home. We were directly under the eye when Sandy made landfall, but far enough away from the shore to feel any real effects.

We wish you all the best! I've seen the coverage of the devastation Sandy caused in Staten Island, and I know the residents there are desperate, and are not happy with the govt's response.
OscarTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote