Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Nov 15, 2012, 7:41 AM   #1
Default predicting sunrise and sunsets

are they any rules, tips, tricks or any adivice anyone can give about how you might predict a colourfull sunrise or sunset?
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:11 PM   #2

G'day Kaz

Geez mate - If I knew them I would publish & buy a lottery ticket
I've been after a particular sunrise in my local district - got up an hour before dawn 20+ times over 6weeks and shivered etc while waiting & watching. Still waiting

I have noticed that in the great land Downunder, the best sunrises & sunsets seem to come about around each equinox - March & September. Why? I dunno...

If it's bushfire season, I know that i'll get good colour from sunrises / sunsets if stuff is happening west or east of me, but even then, there's no guarantees

Best suggestion - just be ready and keep your eyes open :-)
Regards, Phil
Has Fuji & Lumix superzoom cameras and loves their amazing capabilities
Google me at Travelling School of Photography Australia
Recent images at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:29 PM   #3

In general, watch the weather to your West. Forest fires and volcanoes tend to put a lot of dust and smoke into the air, which almost guarantees good sunrises and sunsets. Volcanoes, especially, can create some spectacular sunsets for days or weeks after an eruption. Large storm systems tend to wash particulates out of the air, making for less color, so it's likely that fair weather for several days in a row would allow more dust and better colors, though I haven't pursued that reasoning enough to make a rule of it.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:59 PM   #4

A lot of times colorful sunsets/sunrises are because the light is reflected off of clouds. They have to be at the right height, too low or too high won't reflect the same. I read an article years ago that mentioned what type of clouds work best, but I've forgotten what it was now.

Moisture and dust do make for some nice sunrises/sunsets, the reasons why I often find lovely sunrises in the Mojave Desert and sunsets over Pacific Ocean in California.

Terrain also can make a difference - I don't see much golden hour color in the morning since the sun has to clear a ridge before it shines into my valley. But sometimes I've seen some really outstanding color in the sky, when its partly cloudy.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 5:36 AM   #5

thanks for the replys and advice
i think maybe i struggle because most of the countryside around me is forrest, sherwood forrest and yes im an archer so unless im on top of a tall hill i dont see many horizons, just tops of trees, looks like theres no sure way so no easy option for me, back to getting up really early and hoping for the best, but ill deffinatly take on board your advice.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote