Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Dec 7, 2012, 12:00 PM   #1

Default First 'good' camera you had and what camera equipment do you now have ?

First good camera I had was a Pentax S1a SLR with a 55mm F 2 lens. I bought it new in 1968.

I worked for a publishing company then and they told me that I needed to have a camera capable of taking photo's that would be of sufficient quality to be published and therefore to get a quality 35mm SLR.

I did and I clicked a lot of film rolls through that old Pentax. I used it in situations varying from and including, inside factories, meat packing plants, taking portraits, in 30 below temps, in cattle corrals (story there about a steer, me and a lens cap....lost irretrievably)...

It was very basic, all mechanical, very rugged and I used a separate hand held Sekonic light meter, as it didn't have a meter. Early on I didn't have a flash....just the camera and one lens...all photo's were taken available light, many inside buildings...always B+W @ 100 or 400 ASA...sometimes had to 'push' film....for indoor shots.

It was a reliable, durable, excellent work tool.

I still have it....both camera and meter and they still work after 40 odd years.

Currently I use digital like most and have digital Pentax DSLR's (K10D, K-m, K-5) and Canon (G 12) equipment.

Love digital, would not go back to film.

What's your first camera....and what do you have now ?

Last edited by lesmore49; Dec 7, 2012 at 2:09 PM.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:33 PM   #2

Mine was a Minolta Srt-101 with a Rokkor 50/1.4. I bought it from a big camera retailer in Chicago while I was stationed at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in '72. Later on I got a Vivitar 135/2.8 and a Rokkor 35/2.8. It got me through 4 months while stationed in Lowry AFB in Denver, 6 months on a Western Pacific cruise (Phillipines, Taiwan, Honk Kong, and Japan), a year and a half in Hawaii, and a year in Scotland, when I left it on the roof of my car as I took off into traffic. It worked OK, but all the corners were rounded off, and I couldn't close the film back. After I got it repaired by Precision Camera, I sold it and bought an Srt-202.

Right now I have a Nikon D90 with a Tokina 100-300/4, a Nikon 85/1.8 and 50/1.8, and two Sony P&S cameras: a WX-150 and a TX7.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.

Last edited by TCav; Dec 7, 2012 at 1:36 PM.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 2:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCav View Post
Mine was a Minolta Srt-101 with a Rokkor 50/1.4. I bought it from a big camera retailer in Chicago while I was stationed at the Great Lakes Naval Training Center in '72.
I've talked to a lot of people who bought Minolta SRT 101's when they first got into serious photography. I've never had a Minolta, but the 101 must of been quite a camera.
Later on I got a Vivitar 135/2.8 and a Rokkor 35/2.8. It got me through 4 months while stationed in Lowry AFB in Denver, 6 months on a Western Pacific cruise (Phillipines, Taiwan, Honk Kong, and Japan), a year and a half in Hawaii, and a year in Scotland, when I left it on the roof of my car as I took off into traffic. It worked OK, but all the corners were rounded off, and I couldn't close the film back. Did the same with a 35 MM Pentax P+S. Put it on the roof of our station wagon...believe it or not got about 1/2 a mile...till while looking out the rear window, I saw a black object flying off the roof. After a couple of seconds I realized that UFO was an Identified Flying Object...my Pentax. It landed flat...skidded a distance, almost got run over by a 4WD F 250....but other than some scuff marks...lived to continue taking pic. I did have to use electrical tape to close the film back as a result.After I got it repaired by Precision Camera, I sold it and bought an Srt-202.

Right now I have a Nikon D90 with a Tokina 100-300/4, a Nikon 85/1.8 and 50/1.8, and two Sony P&S cameras: a WX-150 and a TX7.
Nice range of lenses with your Nikon.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 3:06 PM   #4

My first "good" camera- well in my opinion anyway- was a Zenit TTL. After that was a Pentax P30t- a film camera with electronics...!!
My first proper digital DSLR was Canon's 350D- still a super camera.

My current batch are- Nikon D5000,Panasonic FZ-150,Olympus XZ-1,Canon SX240hs and a wee Fuji J100.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2012, 9:33 PM   #5

First 'good' camera (and that's debatable) was a Polaroid, I believe the model # was 250. Saw me through most of my first RVN tour,'til it took a round from an AK-47.
Second time around was with a Yashica Lynx 14E rangefinder. With it and a light meter, I learned a lot about photography. Sadly, it didn't take too well to riding around in a Huey.
My last film camera is a Minolta SRT-201, which I still have, with 50/1.4 MC Rokkor, and Vivitar Series One 70-210 f/3.5.
Minolta P&S and Pentax DSLR now. Digital fixes just about everything that I didn't like about shooting film, but I still like to get the old manual film box out now and then.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 5:17 AM   #6

I started out with a poor man's Rolleiflex camera, the Yashica mat124. It was a medium format 120mm film camera which I got around 1972. It was a great camera for taking photos of our two kids "portrait" style.

I then moved to a Konica FS-1 35mm with 50mm 1.7 camera in '79. It was much more portable especially when traveling.

Today, I primarily use a Nikon D7000 with Tokina 11-16mm 2.8, Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 (old version), Sigma 105mm macro 2.8, Nikkor 18-70mm, 24-85mm, 70-200mm 2.8VR and 300mm F4 AFS lens with TC-14E or TC-20E converters.

I also use an Olympus E-P2 m43 mirrorless with 14-42mm MCSII lens along with a Konica 50mm 1.7, Rokkor-X 50mm MD 1.4, Olympus OM 50mm1.8, and my favorite; Olympus ZD 35mm Macro lens.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 7:37 AM   #7

My first good camera? Or the first good camera that I started learning with? <grin>

My first camera was a Kodak Instamatic 100 that my dad got me. I didn't really use it.

My second camera was my dad's old Pentax SV when he stepped up to the Pentax ME Super. And then eventually I got the Pentax ME Super when he got the Pentax Super Program. These were good cameras, I just never learned with them.

Flash forward to when my first daughter was born in 2000. My dad's gift was a Kodak DC4800 camera. As any proud parent with a camera (especially a digital camera) I was picking that camera up all the time. Trying to capture snaps of her growing up. I used it so much that it just died. That was the 1st camera that I used a lot.

Then one day my dad then ended up getting me a Pentax K100d and gave me all his manual focus lenses with it, I just didn't know it at the time. [He actually told me he wanted to get back into photography and asked me what camera would work with all his old manual focus lenses. I told him Pentax K100d or K10d, but the K100d is a good place to start. So he went out and got the camera, then turned around and handed me the box, along with all his manual focus lenses and said, set it up and learn how to use it, then show him how it all works. So I sat down and started to learn how it all worked. When I went to hand him back the camera, he just said . . . hang on to it a bit longer. He doesn't need it right now. That went on for a year or so before I realized he had bought me a dSLR and given me all his manual focus lenses. And in the process tricked me into learning about how to use a dSLR.]

After I realized I was going to have the Pentax K100d for a while, I started trying to use it more. At first, I was really disappointed with the pictures I was taking. So that got me to learning what the heck I was doing wrong. It wasn't the camera. IMHO. Its just that these things are so powerful that you have to learn how to harness that power.

Anyway . . . I've probably learnt the most with that Pentax K100d because I was tricked into it and it forced me to learn something about photography to get images that I was happy with.

Current equipment . . .

FujiFilm XP50 [Yes. I list my waterproof point and shoot first. It's one of my favourite cameras right now. ]

Pentax K100D, ist DS
AF: Sigma 18-200, Pentax 18-55, Pentax 10-17
MF: Pentax-A 50 f1.7, Pentax-A 100 f4, Pentax-A 70-200 f4
Flash: Pentax AF540FGZ

Nikon D100, D5100
AF: Nikon 18-135, Tamron 28-75 f2.8, Tamron 28-105 f2.8, Nikon 80-200 f2.8

Canon 10D
AF: Canon 28-80

Flash: 3 x Vivitar 285HVs

Last edited by tacticdesigns; Dec 8, 2012 at 7:41 AM. Reason: Added in the Flash gear.
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 10:39 PM   #8

My first good camera was a Mamiya Sekor 500DTL with a 50mm F2 lens in 1975. I didn't get another SLR until 2005 when Canon released the Digital Rebel XT. Last year I gave my XT to my daughter when she took an interest in photography. I used it as an excuse to get a 7D.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 10:11 AM   #9

My first "good" camera was a 35mm SLR film camera. I purchased it new in 1979. It was the Canon A-1. I still have it today, it's a little beat up now but it still works. Now, after going through a bunch of different Canon's, Fuji's and Nikon digital cameras, I have settled on the Nikon D5100. With good glass, I am still amazed at the awesome image quality that this Nikon DSLR can produce.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 8:25 PM   #10

Like Tcav my first "good" camera was a Minolta SRT-101 but with the Rokkor 55mm f/1.7 lens. This was in 1968. I used to shoot Ektachrome, Panatomic-X, Plus-X Pan and Tri-X. Tri-X was a fast film for the time, ASA 400! I soon added a Rokkor 28mm f/3.5 and a Rokkor 135mm f/2.8 as well as the 50mm f/3.5 Macro Rokkor and a second SRT-101 body.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote