Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jan 22, 2013, 9:22 AM   #1
Default Extension tubes ???

I have been thinking about buying a set of extension tubes. I have never used them before. I have a Nikon D5100 DSLR with the 18 to 55mm kit lens. Does anyone here have any experience with extension tubes ? I have been looking at the set made by Vivitar. Does anyone have any experience with this brand ? I simply can not afford a true macro lens at this time so I thought that extension tubes might fill the void. I need your thoughts and opinions on this. Thanks.
surplusshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:10 AM   #2

Extension tubes are a great way to get into macrophotography without spending a lot of money. The Vivitar extension tubes you're looking at are actually made by Kenko, and use the same type barrel as their teleconverters. They are very good. There are less expensive tubes that don't support AF or AE, that sell for as little as $10. They are trash.

There are some important things to remember when using extension tubes.
  • While they don't have any optical elements of their own, they greatly magnify the flaws in the lens you use them with.
  • While they greatly reduce the minimum focus distance of a lens, they also greatly reduce the maximum focus distance. That means you won't be able to focus at infinity (or even a couple of feet) without disassembling and reassembling your gear, possibly from one shot to the next.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote