Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:38 PM   #1

Default Your Dream Camera Would Have.......

After having a discussion with a friend today I thought I would post something here to see if anyone else wants to take a stab in the discussion we were having.

The question in discussion was (after he claimed there was no perfect D-SLR out there and none of them have the right features you really need) if you could custom build a D-SLR like a laptop what would the end result be you can start with a model and add or subtract from it to make it perfect for you. Remember if you spec a $10,000 camera you;d have to have funds to buy it just like high end laptop

dave

Last edited by Photo 5; Feb 5, 2013 at 10:47 PM.
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:47 PM   #2

I'll start the discussion by saying it would be nice if the more top of the line D-SLRs took advance of the faster 45mb/s and 90mb/s cards and has larger internal buffers (the latest Pentax cameras only take advantage of SD cards up to class 10). With most pros moving to RAW it would be nice to be able to capture more RAW frames before the buffer locks up the shutter and needs to clear out some before the next frame can be taken. My ideal camera would allow 50 RAW images at 5fps with a class 10 SD card before the buffer was loaded and with the ability to use the faster cards (at 30mb/s, 45mb/s and 90mb/s) it could dump off images that would allow me to keep firing at 2 to 3fps as needed.

So D-SLR with a 2 or even 4GB buffer and offload speed of 45mb/s and if its a full frame off load speed of 90mb/s with the proper card in place.

Although I do not spray and pray there are times in sports and weddings when its nice to be able to fire off a good burst of images in a row and not have the buffer filled up)

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:23 AM   #3

Canon 30D with tilt/swivel LCD and auto iso up to 1600 and with quality AF on movie capture- with selection of VGA,MP4,HD etc...
Why the 30D...? Well, there was just something about the look of the results off the 350D/20D/30D 8mp sensor which I still find so impressive... maybe the sweet spot between sensor/pixel size and resolution was perfect...?
Of course none of this really matters if you have a naff lens up front...!

Last edited by SIMON40; Feb 6, 2013 at 3:27 AM.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:01 AM   #4

Back when digital cameras were brand new, manufacturers were able to rethink what a camera needed to look like. The lens didn't have to be perpendicular to the back of the camera. (Yes, the image sensor still needs to be perpendictular to the lens, but the film canister and take-up reel don't, so why build the body around where they aren't at.)

When I see the flimsy LCD displays on their cheap little tilt-swivel mounts, I can only see a severe design flaw as far as durability and reliability are concerned. Let me point the lens at the subject, but let me tilt the body (or a good part of it) to suit me, like some of the more inovative early designs of digital cameras allowed.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:58 AM   #5

Unfortunately, there's a reason the perfect DSLR doesn't exist - the laws of physics and our current manufacturing limitations.

Here's a perfect example: My old camera was a Canon 1dIII with integrated grip - fantastic for shooting portrait and very sealed - but heavy. With the 5dIII I have now - I enjoy the smaller footprint. Add a grip and you lose some sealing. It's a similar issue with pop-up flash.

Otherwise, I think I'd start with the 5dIII and add:
1. Ability to save off custom white balance settings
2. Voice recording
3. Ability to write to fast CF cards at their data rate even if you also have a slower SD card in the camera (right now it defaults write speeds to the CF as if it were FD)
4. Make all focus points in the array cross and highest precision
5. have AF system that works for video as well as it does for still but they can't do that yet so not sure if this is allowed.
6. Ability to customize firmware on computer and download - to simplify. So, if you don't care about HDR, you could remove it - Very much like programming a harmony remote.
7. beef up the sealing to 1d levels so I could trust the camera in poor weather.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
5. have AF system that works for video as well as it does for still but they can't do that yet so not sure if this is allowed.
Sony does it.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:29 PM   #7

Much as I like my 60D if it came down to one camera,i think I would want an ILC thus stretching the laws of physics even further. I have deliberately made some of my wishlist a bit vague so as to theoretically make it possible assuming no expense would be spared . So ,I would like it to be of Rangefinder proportions ,say,Canon G15 /Panasonic GX1 size with base spec comparable to 60d plus :

1.LCD and EVF of at least 2.0mp (or optical viewfinder though that might be tricky)

2.Lightening fast accurate autofocus,stills and Video .

3.Lightening fast burst rate

4.Ultra reliable auto white balance,no blue casts in low light or on dull days.

5.Noise free high ISO up to at least 6400.

6.Top class weather sealing

7.Weight of body no more than 400g,lenses of equivalent low weight but Canon 'L' quality .

8.Full frame sensor (again probably pushing it a bit )

In my dreams,at least for the moment.
Canon EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS STM ,
Canon Speedlite 270EX
Canon Powershot G15
JPW2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 1:34 PM   #8

TCAV - unfortunately there is no reliable evidence that Sony's AF is as good as what Canon or Nikon are using in their professional cameras. Also, EVF still isn't good enough to replace OVF. So, the Sony approach will not work in Canon DSLRs.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:16 PM   #9

I agree to an extent, but by putting the PDAF system atop a permanent semitransparent mirror that doesn't flip out of the way when the shutter opens, it works as well for video as it does for still, which is what you asked for. Canon could do exactly the same thing by using a semitransparent mirror that reflected light down to the PDAF system where it already is.

Last edited by TCav; Feb 6, 2013 at 3:18 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:23 PM   #10

JPW.... that is indeed a "dream camera"...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote