Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2013, 2:27 PM   #1

Default photo contests - good or bad for photographers?

So, this topic came up with a friend and I thought it was a good thread for discussion here. If you read many photo contest rules you'll find many contain verbiage like this:
Quote:
4. License Grant: By submitting any photograph or information to Sponsor, you hereby grant to Sponsor and its affiliates, subsidiaries, licensees and assigns, an irrevocable, perpetual and royalty-free right to use, reproduce, edit, display, transmit, prepare derivative works of, modify, publish and otherwise make use of the submitted photograph or other information in any and all media, whether now known or hereinafter created, throughout the world and for any purpose. In addition to other things, the rights granted to Sponsor include but are not limited to the right to resize, crop, censor, compress, edit, feature, caption, affix logos to, and to otherwise alter or make use of the submitted photograph.
Basically this means the judging entity can now edit your photo, make derivatives of it and use it for any purpose they wish without paying you a dime. The caveat being they still need a model release if there's a person and they wish to use the photo for commercial purposes. What this allows for is amassing stock photos at no cost. So, the question is: is there any harm to photographers? Or is it no big deal. Just curious what others think.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 20, 2013, 3:05 PM   #2

John,

I, long ago, stopped posting on any website or entered any competition, contest, etc. that required me to give up my full rights to the image. It's not
the quality of that image that concerns me, It's just plain unethical to have to sign that type of release.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 4:34 PM   #3

I sometimes participate in contests sponsored by charitable organizations which create calendars from the photos submitted to the contest. This language gives them the right to do that. This is the only case where I would recommend giving away your copyright.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:30 PM   #4

I refuse to submit any of my photo's in any competition where the organizers claim rights as per indicated in the OP's thread.

As far as I'm concerned any photograph produced by me, is my intellectual property.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2013, 9:08 PM   #5

Please note that the paragraph cited in JohnG's original post does not eliminate any of your rights to publish, profit, or do anything else you want to do. It simply allows the contest holder the same rights as you have.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:50 AM   #6

I belong to a camera club so its competition photography. does it do any good my experience is yes, as long as you realise that you take pictures for yourself. the by product is that i may get some that i will enter in competitions to be pulled apart by judges. they are another topic.
so yes i think competition helps us improve
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 5:39 AM   #7

Generally speaking, the people and organizations that hold photography contests are doing so to promote themselves. Whatever promotional uses they come up with for the photos that contestants submit will be for the aggrandizement of the host, so they will be within the context of the contest. Your photo, all by itself, only serves to promote you, so they'll do a little of that if yours is one of the top finishers, but for the most part, photos will be shown in the context of the contest.

If someone is standing in front of part of your image, your image is cropped.

If your image is shown at an angle, your image is distorted.

If your image is shown along with other images, your image is resized.

The rules simply permit the contest organizers to show your photo in the context of the contest. The rules are written by lawyers to protect the organizers from someone complaining that, in a group photo, somebody stood infront of their image but not someone else's.

If you won't enter a contest because you think the organizers will use your image, exclusively and in its entirety, to promote themselves, to the exclusion of you, you're missing the point. Yes, their rules say they can reuse your image, but outside the context of the contest, your image is of no value to them.

You're getting yourself wrapped up in the legalize intended to protect the organizers, presuming that the only possible consequence is that it will be used to cheat you, ignoring any possible middle ground that benefits both you and the contest.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 6:07 AM   #8

TCav said: You're getting yourself wrapped up in the legalize intended to protect the organizers, presuming that the only possible consequence is that it will be used to cheat you, ignoring any possible middle ground that benefits both you and the contest.

Actually, TCav, I make my life simple and don't get tangled in up in the legalize by not entering into contests or competitions with those stipulations.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:42 AM   #9
Administrator

JohnG,

This legalize was something IB implemented, and I believe TCav hit the nail on the head. I understand those who wish not to enter our contest due to these "rules", however I can assure you all that we are not making a point to rake in the cash by reusing your photo submissions elsewhere.

In almost a decade of service with Steve's, I've only ever seen the site reuse photos for posting the month's winners back when we had prizes, or sharing photos on our Facebook page (which we always give the photographer credit). These are always the daily winners, and I've never seen the site use a photo submission that was not selected for a daily winner (I delete those from the server). About the only time I edit a photo is if the crop for the home page is off.

We have a lot of talent here on the forums, and I enjoy seeing their submissions. If you don't feel comfortable submitting photos due to this legalize, I totally understand.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 7:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
JohnG,

I understand those who wish not to enter our contest due to these "rules", however I can assure you all that we are not making a point to rake in the cash by reusing your photo submissions elsewhere.

In almost a decade of service with Steve's, I've only ever seen the site reuse photos for posting the month's winners back when we had prizes, or sharing photos on our Facebook page (which we always give the photographer credit). .
Billy - since you brought up Internet Brands (the corporation that owns Steve's) - let me ask this: when you speak to photos not being reused - are you referring only to Steve's or to all the 100s of other presences Internet Brands has on the web? Are you saying, for example, IB never uses any submitted content as stock images on any of the web sites in their portfolio? Or on any promotional material? Are you involved with all their (100s) of websites/presences or just Steve's? For example, do you know if Dave's Garden or Cruisemates uses any of the submitted content as stock art on their web pages?

After all, it's Internet Brands and not Steve's that is granted perpetual license to all submitted content.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote