Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:10 PM   #1

Default Lens cleaning

I seem to never be able to keep up with micro fiber cleaning cloths. So for kicks and grins, I checked out eBay and there are tons of cheap options there for a fraction of what I've been paying. I know the old saying that you get what you pay for, but I thought it worth the effort to ask if anyone had tried any of these?
Outhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 19, 2013, 6:20 AM   #2

Telescopes are expensive devices that need a great deal of gentle care in order to maintain them. There are lens cleaning cloths that you can purchase when you decide to clean the telescope.
beautifull.areeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:26 PM   #3

G'day mate

There are several things I can think of - not all of much help tho...

- a spray with WD40 then a fine tune with 120 grit sandpaper - it would get it clean but not much good after that

more seriously
there are differences between 'spectacle cleaner cloths' and 'photo / optical cleaning cloths' - the former often having silicone embedded in the cloth to make the specs less likely to fog up in the cold, but unwanted [smearing] for camera lenses

I have spent many a moment cleaning lenses via the 'huff n puff' method where I patiently huff a steamy-breath onto the lens and then use a 20-year old hanky that lives esp for this task [stored inside a ziplok bag]

The hanky has been washed so often it's on the verge of falling to bits, but it's wonderfully soft and does a good job. Often though I need to do the 'huff n puff' 1/2-dozen times till I'm happy with the result

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2013, 4:39 PM   #4

I really like the premoistened cleaning cloths ( http://www.adorama.com/ZSLT.html ). Keep a couple of the cloths in your camera bag. Worrying about a reusable cloth's cleanliness is just not worth the aggravation IME.
tclune is offline   Reply With Quote