Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:27 AM   #1
Default Help with Wedding Photography

I'm being a photographer at a friends wedding to save her small budget in July 2013 and I don't have a DSLR. I have a FujiFilm HS20EXR, any tips for the best photos. I'm only a student and haven't studied photography for long.
Can Anyone Please Help Me!?

any help will be gratefully received
coreybond21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 26, 2013, 10:50 AM   #2

I noticed your post was added to another thread in Welcome - Introduce Yourself Here Forum, which is probably why it went unnoticed.

So, I've moved it to a separate thread that may get more responses. Of course, the standard answer is not to try and do it, period if you don't have any experience with that type of photography (and you'll find a a number of threads on this same subject), since there is too much that can go wrong in a variety of areas).

But, perhaps some of the other members here can give you their thoughts on the subject.

BTW, Welcome to Steve's
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2013, 11:18 AM   #3

Get a flash, and learn how to use it.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:04 PM   #4

i would go and reccy the church/venue look for locations check where the light is. the whole day will be a whirlwind so plan what you want to take. i could go on but i will also say think carefully as this is there big day. good luck
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 1:24 PM   #5

Find a friend with a DSLR and both of you shoot the wedding. One problem with small weddings is that everything happens faster, the bride getting ready, groom getting ready, the service itself even things like the cake cutting and flower toss. Also, talk with the couple, find out what pictures they really want and make sure they understand that you can not be in two places at one time. That may sound silly to have to say but I have had couples ask why a shot was missed because two things were going on at the same time in different areas of the church.
Comments always welcome.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2013, 2:26 PM   #6

Will it be indoors, in a church, outside in the open or under cover? Does she want just the ceremony or reception, or the whole package? Is it going to be an informal affair? If indoors in a church, will you be allowed to use flash? Will you have an assistant to round up guests for group shots?
Once you can answer these and other questions, you will have a better idea of how to approach it. Don't rely on just one camera, either. Generally, wedding guests bring their own, as well, and your friend may be able to consolidate some of these with your official shots.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2013, 8:15 AM   #7

This tips will help to you coreybond
Use a wide aperture
Try slow-synch flash
Pose the bride
Look for lines
Attach an external flashgun to a flash bracket to lift the flash a few inches above the lens, eliminating shadows on the subject.
Weddings don’t just happen in front of you. Look around for other photo opportunities that may be behind you. After all, you’ll be looking at what your subjects can see, so if you’re aiming to capture their memories of the day, look at what they’re looking at.
ibecamewe is offline   Reply With Quote