Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 30, 2013, 9:25 AM   #1

Default Fungus problem 18-105

Ok, My trusty Nikon 18-105 was found with fungus! I'm expecting it day after tomorrow.

However I bought a dry box to keep this fungus problem from reoccurring to find that it had a leak... as a matter of fact, all the portable dry boxes available in Sri Lanka were Hui-Tong and all of them had air leaks! (Evil China )

So I bought a Dry Cabinet that has dehumidifier like device. I'm thinking of putting two 5W bulbs inside the Cabinet as well (drilling a hole and sealing it). I'm wondering if the 5W bulbs would have any effect on the dry cabinet?
chirantha7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 30, 2013, 11:48 AM   #2

What type of dehumidifier does the cabinet have? If it is a plug-in type, it is using a heating element, which does the same thing the light bulbs would do, so I don't think the lights would add anything.
You might want to consider keeping individual items in sealed plastic bags with silica gel desiccant when not in use.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 7:13 PM   #3

Should all equipment be kept in plastic bags with silica? Or does it depend what type of environment you live in?
Heinrich Hausler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 9:14 PM   #4

In most environments, leaving the gear out where air can circulate is probably the best option. Where humidity is extremely high, some kind of dehumidifying is a really good idea, and necessary if moving from an air conditioned area to the outside. Similar to bagging it and allowing temperature to equalize when going from cold outdoors to heated indoor space.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote