Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 4, 2013, 8:02 PM   #1

Default Not sure if I am having trouble with my GF3, please help

Howdy, I tried to take my Lumix GF3 outside today for the first time and noticed i was unable to photo anything moving. Bushes swaying in the wind, birds, people talking or walking. What exactly am I doing wrong? I have the pancake and 14/42

Was wondering if anyone could be so kind as to guide me through the proper settings for photographing nature or things moving with this camera, as well as low light conditions. Any help is appreciated, I just can't get either scenario to film nicely. Its always a blur.
Portal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2013, 4:54 AM   #2

What mode are you using..? If in Auto,whilst it may expose "automatically" for the lighting,it may not always account for movement...
To begin with,try using shutter priority,set the speed to 1/400th sec,auto iso,multi metering, and if you're pointing directly at you subjects use center AF area... otherwise,for a general "busy" shot such as a street scene, multi area AF should do fine...
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2013, 8:34 AM   #3

ISO on Auto was the suspect! I was getting blur on pretty much any manual iso setting, but once I turned it to auto it started taking beautiful pictures. Thanks so much for that. But, I am still having a lot of trouble with indoor conditions. I get "ok" quality but would love some recommendations for a proper lower light condition setting for moving objects.
Old May 5, 2013, 11:48 AM   #4

For low light/indoor moving subjects you'll need a fast lens (a lens with a wide aperture) which don't come cheap. They capture plenty of light to keep shutter speeds fast enough and iso settings at a reasonable level...
If your subjects are fairly close by, you could possible get away with a fixed focal length fast prime lens, such as the panasonic 20mm f/1.7 lens....
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_G...575/index.html

Of course,a good flash unit can yield good results for indoor use, though not ideal for stealth/candid work or if you want to keep the natural light look...

Last edited by SIMON40; May 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:56 PM   #5

Do you think that lens is just as capable for outdoor situations as the 14/42 or the pancake? Maybe I misunderstood, I took that as the more expensive lens was suited mostly for low light conditions. If that lens is just as good as the others or better outside, I'd happily sell the 14/42 and the H014 and snatch up a used H020.

btw ty for the help

Last edited by Portal; May 5, 2013 at 4:12 PM.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:27 PM   #6

You could certainly use it outdoors without any problem whatsoever,provided you accept that due to the fixed focal length you don't have a wide angle and you'd have to compose with your feet as opposed to using a zoom,making candid quick snaps tricky.

If you're the kind of individual who shoots a variety of subjects- both indoor and out- both lenses have their compromises and strengths; the ideal solution being to own both.

It would be nice if Panasonic had a fairly fast standard zoom lens for the 4/3 system- something like an f/2.8 14-50mm lens- but sadly they don't.

If I could only have one of the aforementioned lenses,I'd choose the 14-42, simply because I see it as an "all rounder". The 20mm f/1.7 is a nice lens, but has more specific uses.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:18 PM   #7

Yea, I hear ya. I don't really do any zoom or need it, and I am always on the go and it needs to be relatively pocket friendly, the 14-42 isnt at all pocket friendly haha. The pankcake isn't cutting it for even mediumish low light, like standing near a doorway outside or anything with what my brain tells me is suitable light to take a decent picture. Hopefully, the H020 will do a much better job. I've noticed in some sample images that it seems to soften things up nicely. *crosses fingers

Bhphoto really ripping me off on the used price of the pancake and the 14-42 in trade in. Offering $174 for both. Seems really really low, as they are selling the H014 for $320 new lol. >.> Hopefully someone will buy my lens's on craigslist, or elsewhere that I've posted them for sale.

Last edited by Portal; May 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM.