Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 18, 2013, 5:05 PM   #1

Default The end of the Drive-in?

A little off topic for still photographers, perhaps.
It seems that all movies will be distributed strictly digitally beginning in 2014. Digital projectors for outdoor screen sizes are prohibitively expensive for most of the drive-in theaters still in operation. (368 in a country the size of the United States !)
The little Drive-in that my wife and I attend a couple times a season, in Lancaster, NH (it's an hour's drive, so makes for late nights for old folk) is probably going to close it's doors at the end of this season, unless it can come up with a new projector.
There may be a way- http://projectdrivein.com is giving away 5 of these digital projectors.
It would probably be inappropriate to post the direct link to vote for Northern Nights Drive-in, so I won't go that far, but do urge those who look fondly on Drive-in theaters to check out the site and vote to help out your choice.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:20 PM   #2

I grew up going to the drive in movies every Friday with my parents. Of course I always had to sit in the back seat of the car which at the time I thought was no fun. Until I started dating then the back seat wasn't bad at all, especially after I bought a 59 Ford Fairlane.. Going to have to make at least one more trip to a drive in movie before they are all gone..
Old Aug 20, 2013, 2:15 PM   #3

When I checked the map on the page I mentioned, I was really quite surprised to find that of all States, California was one with no drive-ins listed. I thought they actually originated there.

brian
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 6:52 PM   #4
Administrator

I used to "hang out" with friends and dates at a Drive In when I was in Junior High and High School some years back. It was in Walterboro, SC, and I'm afraid it's no longer on the map of currently active drive in theaters on the site you linked to.

So, I suspect it's been closed down for a number of years now... That's a real shame, as Drive In Theaters were extremely popular when I was [a lot] younger.

Hopefully, projects like you linked to will help to preserve some of them; as today's youth probably has no idea of the benefits they can provide (a nice atmosphere where youth can go to watch movies, socialize, get something to eat, etc. -- enjoying it all from the comfort of a vehicle)
JimC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 8:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
When I checked the map on the page I mentioned, I was really quite surprised to find that of all States, California was one with no drive-ins listed. I thought they actually originated there.

brian
There use to be one in Riverside, CA, that we took our kids to once. Then again that was nine years ago. Where does all the time go? Then again that is whole different subject.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 9:25 PM   #6
Dig

I love drive in movies when I was in my late teens early 20s. I used to go every week and never once saw the movie. Great times!
Dig is offline   Reply With Quote