Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:28 AM   #21

I do agree that we should strive to take good photos straight from the camera though. I have been known to touch up photos a little in photoshop, mostly removing scars or pimples etc. I never shoot in raw format. I also have to say that I have hundreds of crappy shots on my hard drive and no matter how hard I could try, none of these are worth the effort. A bad photo will always be a bad photo as far as I can tell. The only photos I bother with are those that were pretty much good pics in the first place.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:13 AM   #22

I hope I don't offend people with this thought, my brain was just wandering around the topic.

I wonder if its also a question of personal standards. The computer lets you fix pictures only so far. You can correct for a 1/2 stop of miss-exposure... maybe even a bit more. But you can only correct so far before you start to degrade the quality of the picture. Some people don't care about the degrade in quality, and often it doesn't matter. It's a picture of friends at a party or the inside of a cathedral... not a work of art, but a snapshot for the memory.

Unfortunately, it's in my nature to set my standards high. Becuase of this (and lack of photoshop skills) I can't take an OK picture and turn it into something great. Also, like Graham, I don't really like working in PS. I'd rather be out shooting.

I wonder if the transition between fixing shots later and getting it right out of the camera revolves around what type of picture's you'll accept? If you're happy with what PS produces (good and bad) then you'll keep working that way.

I know I've tried to recover the under exposed back of a back-lit hawk.... Out of the 20 pictures I took, only one was even close to acceptable that I kept it. I really need to learn how to do that right in the camera, because it really want to get that shot and PS can't (for me) "fix it later".

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:35 AM   #23

AH, I think you might have something there.

It might just come down to personal preference to be out working in the field to get something, or the preference to sit in front of a monitor for hours on end tryng ot fix it.

I know my usage changes with the season, in the fall/summer/spring I am rarely home to use the confuser. In the winters -30blasts I tend to stay in more
I have not yet broken down and started to cary a laptop in my camera backpack.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 8:51 AM   #24

I hope I don't offend people with this thought
Never, Eric. You're being hard on no one but your own self.

I'm an odd mix when it comes to my love of using the camera versus using Photoshop. I had the same mix when I was using film and a darkroom. When I'm using the camera, I can't wait to get the photos onto the computer to see them and tweak them. When I'm on the computer and seeing where I went wrong, I want to grab my camera and start over again. I love the camera, I love Photoshop. I guess it's a case of being torn between two lovers.

In the end, there's probably no right or wrong way. It's a matter of one's own expectations, goals, and even purpose in photography. I will venture this one opinion, however: rising from amateur to expert takes a whole lot more camera work than it does darkroom work, whether that darkroom is full of chemistry or pixels.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 9:28 AM   #25

Don't get me wrong. I think Photoshop is a wonderful tool and I use it frequently. It is great to save those shots that didn't work out as planned. It is a joy to play and manipulate various shots. It definately has its place in our current environment.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2004, 11:46 AM   #26

Originally Posted by aladyforty
Near her feet there had been a pot plant. When veiwing my photos there was no pot plant. I looked through the negitives and sure enough, there was the pot plant.
Damn...someobody want to hook a brotha up with a little Aussie homegrown?
Red Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:18 AM   #27

For a really interesting article that relates to some of the points brought out in this thread, go to this page at the New York Institute of Photography's site:

bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2004, 3:53 PM   #28

As someone who has worked in the Technology Sector for over 40 years your comments really hit a nerve with me. The “fixing it later” approach is something that has sadly become an everyday fact of life and would not have been at all acceptable 20 years ago. Many products sold today including automobiles, household gadgets, computer software and even homes are sold to the unsuspecting public with the knowledge that they are NOT PERFECT. Manufacturers deliberately factor in costs in their selling prices to cover fixing or replacing items that might be returned by consumers knowing that a high percentage of customers won’t bother to complain or even notice a problem. How many “patches” have been released to fix some of the software you use? . It’s no wonder that society sees the “fix it later” approach as the norm and an acceptable practice.
As someone who migrated from film photography to the digital medium I am lucky in that the experience working in film medium (2 ¼ x 2 ¼ & 4x5 and then 35mm) taught me to try to get it right in the first place, correcting shooting errors was a very lengthy and expensive option in a wet darkroom and often only produced marginal improvements.
The digital medium does however give photographers the opportunity of extensive exposure & white balance bracketing as well as other shooting adjustments with little or no material costs unlike film. Once back in the Digital Darkroom one can easily review the contact sheet and select the “perfect keeper shot”.
My 2 cents (Cdn)
deexley is offline   Reply With Quote