Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 14, 2013, 6:39 PM   #1

Default Disney Trip - Which Lenses???

Hi everyone,

I've been before and took my 40mm and 50 1.4 (for lowlight/ride shots).

I was wondering what your thoughts would be for something wider as I did miss having the option a wee bit. I do have a 17-40L F4, 35mm 1.4 (sigma) and an option of the 24mm 2.8 IS.

If you were going, wanting to pack light (one lens on camera and one in a bag) which would you do?? I do have a 24-105L but was thinking that bit of extra weight would do me in eventually as I will be on rides and running around after kids.

Any insights would be terrific.

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:19 AM   #2

Hello,

FWIW . . . here are some things I thought of while preparing for our WDW trip this past summer.

Absolutely in no particular order.

1. 28mm equivalent (~90 degree angle of view) is nice to take a "Here is where we went" picture. And to get friends and family in the shot as you walk close to them. And 28mm (equivalent) at the wide end of a zoom is nice as when walking around parks, you don't always get to choose where you stand, so zooms are nice to get the framing you want, so less editing afterwards.

2. Flash is good for freezing motion in lower light.

3. If going to a waterpark, a waterproof point-and-shoot is fun to take. (Like the FujiFilm, Olympus, Pentax, etc. waterproof / tough cameras.) [We went to Discovery Cove this time around, amazing, the waterproof cameras were perfect for that . . .]

4. At some parks (Like SeaWorld), they don't let you take any bags (or cameras) on the rides, so you either have to have someone to hold it while you are on the ride, or lock it up. [I ended up just using my waterproof point-and-shoot for those days.]

5. If you go on rides with your "big" camera, you have to figure out how to close the safety bar with your camera with you. And how to handle it so that it doesn't get damaged.

For our trip this summer . . . I took one of my dSLRs, but only took it out into the parks one day.

This time around, I decided . . . if I get some keepers, great . . . but just as long as they are ok to remember our trip by . . .

For the most part I took my waterproof point-and-shoot (FujiFilm XP50) and my Pentax Q with a ~28-80mm equivalent lens. And the ~50mm equivalent f1.9 along just in case. That was especially light and easy to carry around the rides. [I don't have the telephoto lens for the Q yet, otherwise I would have taken it, seeing as the whole system is so small anyway . . . ]

The one day I took a dSLR I took my Nikon D5100 with a Nikon 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 lens [28-200mm equ.]. To that I added a 35mm f1.8 [50mm eq.] for low light shots. And my Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 which is a small lens as well. I have a small bag that slings under my arm so it practically disappears when I carry it in that bag.

Take care and Happy Shooting!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2013, 8:37 AM   #3

I'd say that the combination of your 60D and your 15-85, maybe with a small external flash, would be the perfect combination for what you want to do, possibly supplemented by a "waterproof" P&S as tacticdesigns suggests.
  • If you're going to use a filter, make it a good one.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 2:16 AM   #4

not been to disney for a bit now but when i did i used a 17-70 sigma and it did work well. as for seaworld i use a 70-200 for the shows and 17-70 for everything else. warning when seaworld say splash zone they mean soak zone you will get soaked
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:39 AM   #5

Wide lens. Bring the 17-40. A good external flash is worth the weight in my opinion. Great for the rides:

and, key for fill-flash:

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2013, 6:43 AM   #6

Oh, and my preference is definitely for the 5dIII. You'll greatly appreciate the added benefit of it's high ISO performance over the 60d:
ISO 3200:

1600, with a good amount of shadow recovery:

another 3200:
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 6:07 PM   #7

Thank you everyone for your feed back as I really appreciate your insights and advice. I'm definitely going to take my 5D3 over the 60D for the expanded ISO as I don't always like to carry a flash.
Last year I took my 40mm which did most of the daytime photos and my 50mm 1.4 for evening and low lights but in both cases there were times I wished I had a wider field of view. I think the 17-40 is the right way to go with a flash.
Thanks all....

Canon 5D III
50mm 1.2 L l 24-70 F2.8 L l 70-200 F4 L l 40mm 2.8 l 100mmL 2.8 macro

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alainn...39490172728282
http://alainnbellephotography.smugmug.com/
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 7:38 PM   #8

Have a great trip!

Take care & Happy Shooting!
tacticdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote