Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:06 PM   #1
Default Want DigiCam w/ TIFF & MPEG?

I want to purchase a DigiCam that's around 4 megapixels.

It has support TIFF, as I want a lossless format; & it has to take movies w/ sound.

Is there anything out there that fits that bill…from the major mfg.’s?

mark4man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2004, 7:40 PM   #2

Most higher level digicams will save pictures as JPGs and RAW. RAW is a lossless format right off the sensor. RAW files offer the capability of editing several parameters including white balance, saturation, etc. You can then save the results in any of a selection of file formats.

I usually save the RAW files as a "proofs". RAWs are almost always smaller than TIFFs.
Bob_Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 12:00 AM   #3

I think TIFF is generally an impractical format. Take a look at the time between shots. Few cameras can take successive TIFF shots without bogging down. You miss a lot of good shots waiting for the camera to cycle. An efficient raw is about 1/3 the size of a TIFF and better. SHQ JPG has no loss you can really see and is a little smaller than raw.

Most cameras anymore support movies with sound.

We have no idea whether you want a pocket camera, 10X zoom, image stabilization etc. Narrow down the choices a little in Steve’s reviews and come back with a couple of choices. If you really want TIFF make sure to go to the “Picky details” or “shutter lag & cycle time tests” in the reviews here: http://www.imaging-resource.com/MFR1.HTM Make sure the buffer will handle TIFF without long wait times between shots. They can be as long as 30 seconds with a poor buffer. You won’t use the TIFF at all if you have to wait between shots.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote