Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 18, 2014, 1:57 PM   #1
Default Canon S120 IS Problem

Dumb question: I'm sure on my friend's S120, if you move the camera around slowly, the image stays perfectly central on the screen i.e. IS working I assume. Am I mistaken or is this how IS works i.e. via some small servo motors etc.
The reason I ask is that my new S120 doesn't do this. If I move it around slowly to simulate shake, it does nothing!
Yet if I switch IS off, my red camera shake warning glows about three shutter speeds faster than when it's switched on. I guess that means it actually is working, although I'm sure my friend's actually did something mechanical to do this?
Am I going nuts here or is all this stabilization done silently and I was just dreaming previously? Sorry for the long question

John M
john_w_morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:06 PM   #2

Though I am not familiar with your camera, my guess would be that the difference you note is due to a menu setting regarding the IS feature. Many cameras that have this can be set to have it always on, or on only when the shutter is pressed, or completely off. If it is on all the time, you would see the effects in the LCD, but if only on when the shutter is pressed, you wouldn't.

VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote