Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 27, 2004, 4:36 PM   #1
Default Need help buying a digital camera

I am looking to buy my second digital camera. My first is an Olympus 3040. I like it and think it takes good pictures, however, it is 3 years old and I am looking for something a little better. I am hoping to get something in the 6 or more mega pixel range that has a "good" optical zoom--maybe 6x or more. I am looking for something that with good automatic settings--however, not opposed to learning how to use manuel settings. Also, I don't mind paying more for extra settings that I might never use if that is the only way to get a good lens, picture quality, pixel size, and optical zoom. I am looking to keep it under $800 if possible.
I appreciate any help that anyone can give me. (I mainly use the camera for my two little boys, but would like a good zoom for sporting events, etc.)

sacj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2004, 4:52 PM   #2

I have used the Fuji S7000 and was pleased with it performance and optical zoom. Check the Fuji link for more discussions. Check this link for sample pictures:

There are several new cameras that were released at the 2004 PMA. Check the link on the front page of Steve's web site.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2004, 6:32 PM   #3

The Minolta A1 is an excellent 5Mp camera and the price has come down considerably now that the A2 is out. The stabilization is a very useful feature as are the 28mm wide and flip-out LCD. I also much prefer a manual zoom with a long zoom range camera.

About the only camera that is 6 Mp within your price range is the S7000 that Phil linked. Every review I have read says that due to the excessive JPG compression it doesn’t take pictures better than most good 5Mp cameras: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/fu..._s7000-review/ It does take excellent movies though. I don’t understand why so few cameras offer the 640 X 480 movies at 30 fps.

The other 6Mp cameras are DSLR and over your budget. DSLRs are better however than any of the “prosumer” digitals with the smaller sensors. The small sensor is what allows the long zoom ranges in a compact camera though.

There are some 8Mp cameras recently released that are very good. All but the Sony 828 are still in the $1000 range though. The Minolta A2 looks particularly nice. The prices on those 8Mp cameras will likely drop to within your range in a few months though.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote