Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Aug 21, 2002, 12:23 PM   #1
Default Lens cleaning

Hi guys.

I am new here and I just bought myself a Nikon 5700.
Now I am worried about all the dirt and dust that will come on the lenses.

How do I clean the lens without scratching it ?
Any good links where can I buy something special for this ?

Thanx in advance.
jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 21, 2002, 1:35 PM   #2

Becareful when you clean the lens, do not let your finder touch the lens, use a blower brush to dust off the lens, then use the good grade of lens cleaning tissues (from KodaKor other makers) with lens cleaner liquid to clean the lens in circular motion. Since most quality lens and zoom lens are multicoated, using the regular lens cleaner will clean the lens but it will leave the visible smear on the lens, I used the Formular MC Lens and filter cleaner which you can order from Porter's Camera (for less than $4 incl the lens tissues). Cheers

[Edited on 8-21-2002 by tuanokc@hotmail.com]
tuanokc@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2002, 5:48 AM   #3
Default C&P from ShortCourses Website

The first rule is to clean the lens only when absolutely necessary. A little dust on the lens wonít affect the image, so donít be compulsive. When needed, use a soft brush, such as a sable artistís brush, and a blower (an ear syringe makes a good one) to remove dust. Fingerprints can be very harmful to the lens coating and should be removed as soon as possible. Keep the lens covered when not in use to reduce the amount of cleaning required.

Clean a lens by first using a brush or blower to remove abrasive dust particles. Then use a lens cleaning cloth (or roll up a piece of photographic lens cleaning tissue and tear the end off to leave a brush like surface). Put a small drop of lens cleaning fluid on the end of the tissue. (Your condensed breath on the lens also works well.) never put cleaning fluid directly on the lens; it might run between the lens elements. Using a circular motion, clean the lens surface with the tissue, then use the cloth of a tissue rolled and torn the same way to dry. Never reuse tissues and donít press hard when cleaning because the front element of the lens is covered with a relatively delicate lens coating.
ajitkataria is offline   Reply With Quote