Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Feb 28, 2004, 3:36 AM   #1
Default Other cameras can trigger off my slave flash.

I often being asked to take photographs in group activities where there are 2 or more other persons who also have cameras. We usually combine all the photos and compile into slideshows and burn into CDs.

I am using a 2 years old Fujifilm 2800Z and I have a slave unit that can work with my 18years old flash Sunpak SP240. I also have a newer flash Yashica CS240Auto.

My slave unit is a simple design and it does not accept pre-flashes from the camera.

Quite often my slave flash fires unnecessarily because of other cameras and sometimes it makes the photos taken by other cameras being over-exposed.

Today, I managed to modify my slave unit and with this I wish to share with you how I did it successfully.

I connected a small push-button switch into the slave unit such that the slave unit will only trigger when the switch is pressed. If I release the push-button switch, slave flash will not fire.

You can see photos of my slave flash in the following link and you can read some explanations there:

NMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 28, 2004, 11:49 AM   #2

Great idea, thanks for sharing.

BTW, is that a commercial flash bracket, or did you make it yourself?
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29, 2004, 3:12 AM   #3

That is a commercial flash bracket and I had modified it. I cannot remember the brand name but I think it is something like "Sakure" or "Sakura".

The hot shoe on that flash bracket is all metal and if you slide in a flash, it would short circuit all the pins together. My slave unit needs to be tightened by a screw from below, therefore I drilled a hole through the hot shoe and permanently locked the slave unit onto it by a screw.

There was a nice black plastic hand grip on verticle bar of that bracket but I destroyed it during drilling and fixing of a screw to the hot shoe. Anyway, I would not be able to fix the red push-button switch, if the hand grip were still there.

The bracket is collapsible, with a hinge at the bottom corner.

I have added old photos of the flash bracket and slave unit at the same website given in my first message above.

NMH is offline   Reply With Quote