Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 15, 2004, 3:20 PM   #11

This posting may be a little late, but perhaps you're looking for Father's Day. I recommend the Contax SL300RT. I looked at everything, got the Contax, love it. Superior lens (Zeiss), it's blazing fast, beautifully designed, and takes great pictures.
It has its quirks, all digitals do. No lens cap, a battery that takes 3 hours to charge, and no video out. But it's very fun to use, and it's not about pixels, it's about the lens. The industry is taking everyone on a pixel joyride - don't fall for it. Go for the lens.
This is a bit of a posh camera and it had a posh price: $499 just about everywhere. But prices have fallen, and it's easy to find for $429 or a bit less. Most camera stores are holding to the $499 and those that don't carry it disparage it as a boutique camera or an expensive novelty. They're wrong. It's the best in its class.
Shop online, somewhere like Adorama.com or B&H. Get a good card. I'd recommend the Sandisk Ultra11 512 MB card (again, buy online). And get an extra battery.
macroom is offline   Reply With Quote