Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 2, 2004, 5:28 PM   #1
Default Homebrew camera gear

Anyone here like to make accesories for any of your camera gear instead of buying them? I've been working on a rain cover for my camera and my Lowepro.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:10 PM   #2

The pricey fanny pack I use for my D7i was too small for my FZ10. I refuse to carry a camera or bag. I went to the flea market and found a nice nylon fanny pack for $5 that had a large zip around main pocket. I cut old mouse pads to cushion it out and like it better than the one I use for my Minolta. I might have to make a rain cover for it, but the Minolta fanny pack isnít waterproof either and I never was uncomfortable with it.

Iíve been working on a slip-on lens shade for my C50. I would have to do some experimenting and have markings on the lens for different focal lengths. I think I finally found the right aerosol cap from a butane can and hope some mouse pad foam stabilizes it on the lens.

They donít give away mouse pads like they did in the past with mechanical meeces, so I have to find another source for dense foam. I have found all sorts of uses for it and am running low. I had collected about a dozen at one time.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 2:52 AM   #3

See http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...589&highlight= for my somewhat unsophisticated contribution.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 11:49 AM   #4

I became very frustrated early on with Digital Cameras and the reliance on the LCD to adjust settings also using any add-on lens adapters was next to impossible in bright conditions since the lens adapters blocked the regular optical viewfinder so you have to rely on the LCD for framing. I tried a couple of the hoods that were available but found them less than perfect.
I located an old 35mm. slide viewer (the type you hold up to a light) and cut off the slot that normally holds the slide and had the diffuser attached. I attached Velcro (the stiff part) to this end after sanding it smooth and then attached an old jewelers loop to the eyepiece of the slide viewer. The magnifying lens in the jewelers was removed from the loop since the slide viewer eyepiece had just the right amount of magnification to read the screen clearly.
The viewer attaches to the camera with soft Velcro strips around the LCD screen. Itís very easy to attach or remove and has been become a very valuable accessory in my photo bag. Even in very bright sunny conditions the screen is clearly visible, in fact itís almost like working with a SLR again.

deexley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 8:02 AM   #5

Originally Posted by Alan T
See http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...589&highlight= for my somewhat unsophisticated contribution.
Very creative. Unlike my old Sony DSC-S50, the DSC-F717 has a "right up to your eye" viewport so I may not have to worry about this too much, but I like your solution.

I'd like to see lots more "home brew" solutions. I'm thinking about getting into 3D photography (the version where you take two photos, one a bit to the side of the other) and I'm considering a sort of home-made holder that lets you slide the camera back and forth. I haven't tried to make one yet though.
kettir is offline   Reply With Quote