Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 2, 2004, 6:56 PM   #1
Default 8MB Compact Flash card for web photography

Hi! I recently bought a Nikon Coolpix 2100 which I plan on using mostly for my website. It came with a 8MB compact flash card. I'm surprised to find that for 640 x 440 it can take up to 70 images. I understand that it's not enough for print photography. I also purchased a Sandisk ImageMate dual card reader. I will probably upload images into my web weekly so that means I will handle the card a lot. Am I correct in setting my camera at 640 x 440 and create copies of smaller images (320 x 220) for web and upload to my computer via card reader. That won't affect image quality too much? I haven't tried the normal size as it will take up alot out of 8MB. I figure if I use the normal size and make copies down to web size, the image quality will be more affected. Am I doing this correctly? Also, while ordering my camera, I also ordered for another compact flash card (64MB). It's a Kodak. Is this okay?? No mention of this brand in the recommended list by Nikon. Any pertaining advice will be appreciated. Thank you very much.
bellflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 7:25 PM   #2

You will be just fine with the 64M card - though memory is a lot like money, it is hard to have to much.

Do some experimenting to figure out what works for you. One of the best pieces of software you can get to help figure out what you are doing is an EXIF reader. Your images have a lot of information in their headers: f/stop, shutter speed, ISO, flash useage, saturation, contrast, ... Looking at the EXIF data lets you shoot a lot of pictures of the same thing with different settings to figure out what works for you.

I like EXIF Image Viewer (http://home.pacbell.net/michal_k/exif_v.html - freeware), other folks have other choices.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote