Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:30 AM   #1
Default B&W - Software or camera?

Back in olden days, I used to enjoy shooting B&W but then I got married and had children and B&W pictures from Disney World didn't appeal to the better half.

In the digital world, do I get the same result if I set my camera for B&W that I'd get if I take a color picture and change it to greyscale?
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 4, 2004, 6:20 AM   #2

Yes, you'll be able to create some nice B&W's with this method, however, I would recommend that you shoot all pictures in color. Then using a phot editor, such as PhotoShop Elements (or just about any descent editor) convert the picture from color to B&W in the software. This way, if you decide a color picture would have looked better, you'll have the color and the B&W picture to decide between.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 7:39 AM   #3

I'd recommend taking a colour photograph and converting it to B & W in software. Don't use the straight grey scale conversion but use the layers method described here http://www.hertz-ladiges.com/galphoto/ps/bw/bweng5.html as this allows you to control the end result. This technique produces similar results to using a filer over the lens when taking as shot.
Nagasaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 8:32 AM   #4

I agree - generally shoot in color and convert later. That gives you many more options. If you think you are going to shoot lots of shots with the intent of converting to B&W, it would be worthwhile to do a bit of experimenting. In particular to see if a in-camera B&W shot has a much smaller file size than color does. Also compare the in-camera B&W to one of the automatic/batch conversion such as IrfanView. If the batch process does at least as good a job as the in-camera and the file size is about the same, there would never be a reason to use the in-camera B&W mode.

Another advantage of post processing to B&W is that you can convert only part of the image, e.g.,

Keep in mind that digicams are color instruments via either a Bayer filter or the Foveon's depth sensing technique.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote