Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 5, 2004, 9:22 PM   #51

To Stephen in response to your post to me

But when someone, who does not know me, insults me then naturally I am going to respond.
I can understand and respect this, however, I do not feel it was jawz intentions to insult you, nor is it mine; I apologize if you took it that way. We are just stating opions and I felt it may not have been in the best of taste to state "In fact Jawz, I find the only rude thing about this topic was your last post".

So I would be shocked if you are suggesting this 40% should be seen but not heard?
40%. That's funny. You act as if this is a scientific study when it is far from it. If the poll was more scientific and 40% were truely in favor, perhaps I would more seriously consider saying yes lets have a trial run.

In fact I have consulted Steve about this matter in the form of a reasoned proposal. I am surprised you did not ask me about this first. How did you know if I had consulted Steve or not??
Have you consulted him in the form of a PM or email? I would have thought if you had done so, it would have been stated somewhere in one of these posts by you. If you have, then I apologize for reaching an erroneous conclusion.

Because such mistakes can ruin a topic, which is exactly what we don't want in an off-topic forum.
Not only mistakes, but misunderstandings can hurt an off-topic forum. You could argue that I may not have made myself entirely clear, but I do feel you are overreacting. Mistakes and misunderstandings are the primary reason I am not in favor of an off topic forum. I would hate to see it potentially harm a great forum about camera's which is as I said is my primary reson for coming to this site. If I wanted to discuss something else, I would find another forum that met those interest.

Anyway, this is all I have to say. I am not intentionally attempting to insult you or rial you. If you wish to reply to this that is fine. Iif you don't, that is fine too. I, however, will not likely be posting on this particular subject as I feel I have made my opinions clear enough and I really don't feel like spending any additional energy on this topic.
mdparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:04 PM   #52

Originally Posted by stephendickey
I disagree that such a forum would attract rabid twits!! ...
I think that response, and others like it, demonstrate why any use of statistics from this thread are completly phoney. Anyone who responds in a way you do not like will get a response of that kind - hardly an unbiased way to do a survey.

At best, any resulting statistics are just plain silly.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 10:39 PM   #53

steve, thats ok, it's not your fault, as a matter of fact i think it is good to express ones felling toward something, as long as it's apropriate

again i think it would be nice to have an off topic section, if we could only agree on something...

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Herm Albright (1876 - 1944)

i like your positve attitude!! kepp it up and this will grow untill an admin reads it and likes it, untill then, lets keep feeding the fire

bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 11:09 PM   #54

Originally Posted by stephendickey
And do digital photographers not enjoy discussing other topics? Because we enjoy talking to the people here about photography does that mean we are not allowed to discuss other things with the same people?
Perzackly. When I go to the range at my shooting club, the conversation often deals with firearms. While at the range, I've also discussed sports cars, helicopters, diets, child rearing, Boy Scouts, and heavy equipement.

We are all shooters there but we have found that no only do we share common interests outside of photography but we often find what the other person does to be interesting even though we have no experience with it.

On the other hand, 99% of the conversations at meetings of my basketball referee association involve basketball and consequently I know little about the guys that I work with and the conversations become OLD after about 15 minutes (how many times can you hear, "How about them Terps!?!)
Yaworski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2004, 11:12 PM   #55
Default stephendickey contact Steve

This thread is already starting to get off topic. Somewhat what you might experience in the forum your suggesting. stephendickey you really seem to be pushing for it as if you were going to try it without Steve's permission. This thread is somewhat pointless. Why not go straight to the source and email him before you take it upon yourself to do post something off topic. He may be open to it and let you moderate it or he may have some very valid reasons for not doing it.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 4:42 AM   #56

I don't know if i would like the idea of an off topic subject in the forum, may be i wouldnt, as i am here cause i am interested in photography,
sometimes the threads might take a more humouristic turn, making it more interesting, but always with photography in mind. I dont know if it would be easy to control an off topic forum, the moderator would need to work overtime probably!!!!!
In any case please people give Steven a brake..dont hang him for his proposal...he asked a straight question i think: do you want an off-topic forum? yes or no? i dont think he wants to revolt against Steve's Digicams, he is just a user as we all are suggesting his ideas..
not trying to enforce them...
too many negative vibes...please spread the love!!!!!
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 6:02 AM   #57

No disrespect StephenDickey, but just reading your messages and replies and persistant arguing for this topic, really got on my nerves. I enjoy coming to this site for Photographic reasons, and try to read as many of the posts that catch my eye ON THIS SUBJECT! If I want to read up on another subject I go to a site relating to that. I.e. We spend a lot of time at babywhisperer for advice on our child. I certainly wouldnīt want to discuss these issues on a Digicam site. Why donīt you go and start up your forum on a General Discussion website. Steve, this would degrade your wonderful site to the point I think you would lose A LOT of members!

Just my opinion :!:
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:27 AM   #58

For those who did not see this post near the start of the topic:

I would like to propose a 'trial' run on an off-topic forum for 4 weeks. I have forwarded this proposal to Steve.
So yes I HAD in fact proposed this to Steve and mentioned it in this thread.

Freefly, it was not my intention to get on your nerves. I just assumed if people were annoyed by it then they would stop reading it.

OK: I have received a message from Steve.....the main Steve.....concerning this off-topic forum!!!!

A lot of you will be glad to hear he feels that he only wants photography related forums here at Steves!

As I have said from the start this was just a proposal from me, not a demand! I hope this has not caused any ill-feelings and we can all return to our photographic forum lol :lol:

Best Regards,

Stephen Dickey
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 7:29 AM   #59

PS: Does anyone know if 57 replies to a topic, and 400 views, in 20 hours is a new record??
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 8:43 AM   #60

Looking at a few of the latest posts, I see evidence of what I already know about off-topic forums. Either every last person treads with extreme care...or trouble erupts. With words on a screen, there are no visual or audio cues about the writer's intent, and so offense is easily taken where none may be meant.

As for percentages of those for or against such a forum, the sample is still far too small to tell. Had you been able to do so, a poll probably would have been the best survey method.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote