Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 7, 2004, 5:59 PM   #1
Default VHS transfer to digital on my computer?

I have an old Zenith Video Camcorder that has an A/V Output cable to transfer the movies onto a full size VHS videotape or to playback on the TV. Is it possible to transfer this data into digital form using my computer so I can save the movies on Disc? It has separate Audio and Video plugs that are used to connect to the VCR.

If it is possible, what kind of equipment do I need? I have a fairly new computer so I think it would be able to handle the amount of data.

kaderina is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:11 PM   #2

You need some sort of capture device for the computer that will translate the analog video signal to digital. You pretty much get what you pay for and can pay from $40 for an off-brand TV tuner/video capture card to big bucks for a quality device.

This is a fairly inexpensive device that will convert the analog to digital without having to open your computer to install a card. I have no idea how good it is: http://www.pctekonline.com/kwvxpdvdmaus.html

If you want to edit the images you will also need software. One of the few advantages of a Mac is that it has built-in video editing.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:31 PM   #3

Yes it is possible to transfer your VHS data to digital form. I do this using a card from Pinnacle called a DV500 but that is an old and expensive way of doing it.

There are many graphics cards on the market that have a VIVO (Video-in Video-out) capability and that is probably the cheapest way to do it. You will also need an application to capture, and edit/clean up the captured video. I have not used it, but have a look at something like the ASUS card in the review at the link below to get an idea of the type of thing to look for - look at the connector towards the end of the review to see if it is compatible with the interface on your camcorder and the software that comes with the card.

costas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2004, 6:34 PM   #4

Hello slipe
You posted that just as I was editing my response - had to look up a card with a reasonable VIVO package.
costas is offline   Reply With Quote