Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 12, 2002, 5:49 PM   #1
Default tiny small digital cameras

I want to buy a very small digital camera.

I have a normal sized one now that works ok, and i have made good use of it. point and shoot type images for websites, not for printing.

But i dont like carrying anything around, at car shows and tourist/sporting events.

i was thinking of a cannon elf, the Kodak EasyShare LS420, a fine pix, the MP3 player thing, or the dimageX.

i want small and lite, but big concern is seeing the LCD in the sun, batterylife, quickness to startup.

which one is best, by best i mean which one would you go out and buy for your mother?

c is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 12, 2002, 7:24 PM   #2

I own the Pentax Optio 330 and find it to be just great for size and ease-of-use. I've recommended it to several friends and customers and they take to it very quickly. Excellent for those full-auto users who just want to snap shots without much thought. Also give excellent manual control for those who need it.

CF media, Li-Ion batt, 3X optical zoom, case rugged enough to just carry it around in a jacket pocket...

I've used it snow-skiing, hiking, etc. Great design.

brucemit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2002, 9:41 PM   #3
Default Small cameras

Well, my mother can't remember how to turn on the PC from one day to the next, so she's not getting a digicam.

But ... if YOU want a very small camera, a bunch of models have come out in the past few months or are coming out. Look at the Canon Elph S330 (2MP) or the Sony DSC-P9 (4MP). In the next month Sony is coming out with a P7 (3MP) version and a P2 (2MP) version as well. For less $, try the Canon A40 or A30.

The Minolta Dimage X wins the prize for smallest real camera, but the limitations of the size do show up some. Worth it if the smallness is primary for you.

This newest batch of cameras is smaller and more fully featured than last year's models.

These all have a zoom, try to get 3x optical zoom; it makes a huge difference in getting the most out of your pixels.
buzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2002, 11:50 PM   #4

I think teh two new nikon's are great.

The coolpix 2000 and 2500. They are small and had the nikon quality.

Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2002, 4:05 PM   #5

Before you buy a really tiny camera, I suggest you ask if you can try it out for a day - even hire one. I have a Leica Digilux Zoom (the same as the Fuji Finepix 1700MX, both now discontinued I think) and I always use it when I want something that's really easy to carry about (compared with my Olympus C2100UZ).

Yesterday my son bought a Canon ELPH and lent it to me for the day. It's about HALF the size of the Digilux zoom - and I found the ELPH much too small for my hands. Maybe I just have big hands, but I had difficulty getting a proper grip on it. I almost had to hold the ELPH between thumb and forefinger. I much prefer my old Digilux zoom.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 10:08 PM   #6
Default Tiny camera

If you are not very particular about sharpness of the image, you can go for the Aiptek Pencam. The cost is around US$50 and it is like holding 2-3 pens together which you can easily keep in your pocket.

Mathew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 7:46 PM   #7

Minolta Dimage X. This is as close to being the no-camera as possible. It is truely pocketable and at 2 Mpix and 3X zomm quite adequate. I carry it everywhere.

Its weaknesses? rtoo much red in colr balance and the lens is nto up to Nikon standards.
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote