Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:10 PM   #1
Default Picture aquisition utility instead of default Windows one??

I am constantly annoyed at the digital camera/scanner wizard in windows xp - mainly becuase it over-does what I need it to do and dosent allow for the one thing I'm picky and anal about:

I am a Web Developer, so I am super fussy about file names and directory names. I am ok with making my directories by hand, but for some reason the Windows utility that by default pops up when I plug my camera into my pc, names each group of pictures as, "picturegroup 1, picturegroup 2...." and so on with that one SPACE character in the filename of each and every photo. You can name the group but not omit that space. Then I have to go back in with another batch rename utility to remove the space and I feel that this extra step is unnecessary.

Does anyone know of a utility that is free or cheap and grabs the files off the memory card and lets you omit that space character?

Or is the windows one tweak-able. Info on either of these matters would be hugely appreciated.

erik@juniorhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:23 PM   #2

I Just open my card as a folder/directory and cut and past as needed to other folders and directories.. I would suggest never using the wizard..

Perhaps somewhere along the way you told it to use a wizard? If so just close it and open the Drive in My Computer and do what you will..
twl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 7:31 PM   #3

I see your points.

But the problem is that I actually do like some of the wizard's features. Its that darned space in the file name that burns my britches every time.
erik@juniorhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2004, 1:08 PM   #4

Try cam2pc. www.nabocorp.com
luisr is offline   Reply With Quote