Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:58 AM   #11

That is funny, TCav. I promise I won't go googling for images of how not to ride a horse.

Hi, Phil. Thanks. Occasionally I find my images in use online but always I'm given credit. Indeed, most of the time I was contacted first for permission.

Hi, Billy. Thanks. I have a new theory about my image being used instead of someone else's -- and it's not very flattering. Steves-digicams.com ranks high in google rankings so my image is up there when using the search string "times square fisheye". In putting up the offending website there's obviously a lot of careful planning so I suspect the creators picked the image of someone who they thought was an amateur schmuck posting on message boards not likely to go chasing after them. I agree, they lack morals. There are those who cause others harm of conflicting beliefs and principles. Then there are those who count on deception preying on the unsuspecting to enrich themselves quick. The latter IMO are absolute lowlifes.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jun 23, 2016 at 8:31 PM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2016, 11:50 AM   #12

It's finally taken down as of today. The company hosting it, SoftLayer, gave the website 48 hours to remove my photo. Not having heard from the website, SoftLayer disabled the website and informed me.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
It's finally taken down as of today. The company hosting it, SoftLayer, gave the website 48 hours to remove my photo. Not having heard from the website, SoftLayer disabled the website and informed me.
Good to hear!!!

I'm glad they took care of that for you. Hopefully that will teach the offending party a lesson.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers,
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:40 PM   #14
Administrator

A tip...

I keep an extension installed in Firefox called Who Stole My Pictures?

When it is installed, you can "right click" on a photo and choose a search engine (for example, google), and this extension will "pass" the web lin for a photo to the selected search engine, where the results for a given search engine will give you links to other sites that the same photo was found on.

Keep in mind that search engines now have sophisticated algorithms for finding similar or identical images, and the ability for search engines to match up images is improving rapidly.

You can get that extension here:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...tures/?src=api

I use it on a frequent basis for various reasons. For example, if I suspect a photo being posted in the forums here was not taken by the member posting it, I can search to see if the same photo was posted elsewhere by someone else.

Unfortunately, I do see that kind of thing from time to time (a user posting a photo here that was taken by someone else).

This extension can also come in handy for finding other sizes of a given photo, sometimes with more complete EXIF info included.

In any event, it's a good tool to have available, and i use it on a regular basis for various reasons.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:15 AM   #15

Hi, all. I guess this counts as victory to photographers protecting their work.

Initially, I thought SoftLayer was slow because the first e-mail I got from them was a confusing "Have you had a chance to review our request?". (I checked my junk inbox and couldn't find a prior e-mail from them.) I now think it was an honest attempt to follow up with me because SoftLayer has since been true to its word with other follow-up e-mails. They event sent me a "Please let us know if there's anything else we can assist you with" (signed by Michael W.) after the takedown.