Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:26 PM   #1
Default video recording length of Nikon P530 @ 1080p setting

I want to record a series of lectures for posting on YouTube and want to know approximately how long (in minutes) of 1080p video I can expect to be able to record with a Nikon P530 that I am thinking of buying. Just need to know if this will require that I purchase a camcorder. I don't expect the lectures to be over 30 minutes, and I can use video editing software to piece short videos together, but I don't want to piece five or six of them together.
botanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 22, 2016, 9:30 PM   #2

Most, if not all, consumer cameras are limited to under 30 minutes of video, and they all seem to stop recording at, or just under that number, so I would expect about a 29 minute limit. This seems to be a legal limitation, rather than a technical one. I seem to recall reading that the EU would tax them differently (as professional equipment) if they recorded longer.
VTphotog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2016, 10:38 AM   #3

The European Union has a high tariff on imported videocameras. It defines a videocamera as anything that can record a continuous videostream of 30 minute or longer. Manufacturers of still image cameras get past this by limiting the length of recorded continuous videostreams to just under 30 minutes.

There's no getting around this limitation.
  • The lens is the thing.
  • 'Full Frame' is the new 'Medium Format'.
  • "One good test is worth a thousand expert opinions." - Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote