Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 28, 2004, 3:16 PM   #1
Default sony f717 or fuji s5000

which of these is the better camera for concert, macro and all around purposes?

any other ideas for cameras under $550 for these purposes.

uhhmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 30, 2004, 12:42 PM   #2

Generally, the F717 is gong to give better results for large prints. If large prints are not an issue and you don't need a hotshoe, then the S5000 would suffice I suppose. But as far as concerts, the S5000 has better high ISO results.

If your buget is $550, then consider the Fuji S7000. It has very good ISO800 performance, very useful for concert shots were only ambient light is possible. If low light is not specifically a primary consideration, I urge you to consider the Minolta A1, which can be had for not much more. It has TTL hotshoe and an exteremely high quality lens. Manual zoom too boot(this is a very nice benefit, IMO).

WmAx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2004, 3:03 PM   #3

The F717 is a great camera--I use it. It is a very excellent camera to use. Its menus are easy to read. The image quality is amazing. It has a hotshoe which would be best for low light sits, that require a larger, more powerful flash. The S5000 is reported to have more noise than competitors.

Also, since the F828, the F717 successor recently came out, you can get the F717 for excellent buys--some have reported that the F717 is about $450 at Circuit City! It is an excellent camera. You should go down to Best Buy, or your nearest camera/electronics store and try out both.

Finally, the F717 features a high quality Carl Zeiss lens. Very good results.

I highly recommend the F717.

You should also check out sample shots too and compare them.
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote