Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Mar 31, 2004, 5:46 PM   #21

It's not like you're going to wake up one day and suddenly can't open your files. Yes, software is going to change and formats replaced. You will have time to adjust to the changes. It is unlikely that the TIFF format will disappear any time soon. Undoubtedly, the Canon RAW will probably not withstand over time and I'll deal with that issue when it becomes a reality. I'm certainly not going to lose sleep over it now.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 8:36 PM   #22

Since getting the A1, I've started to shoot in RAW format, but I'm reluctant to archive in RAW format becaues of future file converter software compatibility issues as others have cited. I'm not sure that I want to take on the future task of archiving the software environment (and potentially the whole platform environment) in order to recover my stored RAW files. Or take on the task of routinely reformatting/resaving all of my saved files. The whole archive/recovery outlook gets grim real fast as the number of files grows and literally explodes when/if I were to buy a new camera or cameras with each manufacruer's unique RAW format and converter tools and update versions there of. JPEG or TIFF formats may not last forever, but right now it seems to me that the safe money bet is on these formats outliving the proprietary RAW formats.

I still have all my RAW files and their 'production' equivalent low loss JPEG counterparts stored, but the time is rapidly approaching to make a decision has to what to archive and what gets 86'd.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote