Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 2, 2004, 11:22 AM   #1
Default Recommendation PLZ : sony dsc-t1 vs canon powershot s500???

which one would you guys recommend..my main concern is image quality
tnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 2, 2004, 1:39 PM   #2

Have you looked at Steve's reviews of the two cameras. They will go a long way towards helping you reach a conclusion. Look at the sample pictures from the two as well as what Steve says in his conclusion.

I have the Sony T-1, but I purchased it primarily for it's small thin size that easily fits in my pocket. Other cameras may indeed be small, but most are too thick for the pocket IMO.

The Sony T-1 has two things that need to be considered. One is that the flash is rated out to only 5'. That's not far. Most small camereas are rated out to 10'-12', a much better ratio. The S500 seems to be rated out to 10', which is twice as good at the T-1.

The other thing about the T-1 that is bothersome is the fact that without a lens protruding, it's easy to allow your finger to drift in front of the lens and go unnoticed until it's too late.

It seems to me the T-1 has a tendency to block up highlights.

If you want a small, thin, good performing camera you can carry in your pocket almost unnoticed, the T-1 would be hard to beat. If you want the major criteria to be other than the small thin factor, I would broaden my search. Just looking at Steve's sample pictures for the S500, it looks like the picture might be better than the Sony.
Deane Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote