Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 5, 2004, 6:14 AM   #1
Default Compact with EVF advice

After many years of traditional photography with SRLs and compacts, now I want to start with the digital.
My main subjects are travel (monuments, landscapes, people), sports (baseball, car race) events in low light (theatre, concerts) and family events.
I know that the best choice would be a DSRL, maybe with a stabilized lens, but for now I do not want afford it (I want also wait for the new Minolta). So, reading various specs, reviews and forums, I made a short list with some long tele compact cameras between 400 and 700 euro (500-800 $).
My list is:
- Fuji S5000
- Fuji S7000
- Minolta A1
- Panasonic FZ10
- Canon PS S1 IS
I saw and tried some of them at the Roma Photo Show, but I still have many doubt.
I need a camera to shot pics in sports games, like the basebal matches where my little son is playing, or at some car race. I need to follow the action in the viewfinder and shot some burst. I read in the Steve's review that many compact cameras with EVF froze or blank the EVF during a burst: so you cannot follow the action; only the Fuji S5000 and S7000 mantain the EVF usable during the burts. I am very interested in the stabilization of Minolta, Canon and Panasonic and also in the very big zoom of Panasonic, but I hate that I cannot use it for action photo, because of the EVF problem.
Has somebody used some of these cameras and can share whit me his experiences? Any advice is welcome.
Thanks in advance.
FrancescoC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links