Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 10, 2004, 10:33 PM   #11

I'd even go so far as to say that a good DSLR with a good lens will produce a better print that a similar lens on a film camera with average film. Even "good" film is probably not as good for grain when you get beyond 100 speed film.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2004, 5:58 PM   #12
Default 35MM compared to Digital???????

I have did 8X10 prints with My Nikon 990 and printed them on My 1280 Epson printer and they are as good as some 35MM negitives I scanned with My Minolta Multi scanner and printed on the same printer.
I think if the exposures are very good and You are printing on a good Photo quality inkjet printer it would be very hard to tell much diffrence.
As long as Your Digital camera is at least 3,4 Mb like My 990 Nikon was and has A good exposure You will have no problems selling prints. I find Most Family Portraits I do for people they only want 5 X 7's anyway.
Of course I am guessing You are doing Your own scanning and printing. The drugstores and walmarts ETC. don;t really spend any time on dialing in printing to perfection like I like to do.
Ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 7:58 AM   #13

I guess the answer depends mainly on the ultimate resolution of the digital camera sensor relative to the resolution of 35mm film - assuming all other factors are the same, like lens etc. The resolution of the film depends on the grain of the emulsion, and I read that a good 35mm film has about 30 million grains on it. That sounds a lot more than a 6Mp digital camera, but in fact it's just about double the resolution, so it doesn't make as much difference as you might think. There's also the problem that the pixels/grains are not going to all record a true rendition of the subject because of various factors like movement of the camera, noise etc.

In ideal conditions the 35mm will still take the best picture but you'll need to be making very large prints to notice it and for most practical purposes there probably isn't much difference.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote