Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 8, 2004, 10:35 PM   #1
Default Dimage Z2 Pixels Per Inch?

Hi everyone. I hope someone can please help me out here. I don't know much about digital photography and spent a couple of weeks researching what camera to buy. I ended up getting a Minolta DImage Z2. My other choice was a Kodak DX6490 (both are 4MP camera with 10x optical zoom). It seemed like it had more features and was a nice little fast camera that used standard AA batteries. I hope I didn't make a bad choice....

Here's my problem. I took a few pictures with it and when I load them into the PC, the image info says they're ONLY 72 pixels per inch (ppi). When I zoom in on a picture it starts to look fuzzy! This is taken in FINE mode with a resolution of 2272x1704. When I looked at my friends picture from his Kodak DX6490 it's images have 230 ppi. WOW! What a difference. The picture looks smoother and cleaner. I can zoom right in and crop out a face and even make that a picture! Not so with the Minolta.

Is pixels per inch important here? Does this mean the Minolta Dimage Z2 doesn't take as good a picture? Can I print a nice 8x10 with it or would the Kodak's picture print better? Why is the Minolta compressing the JPEG so low (it's not controllable)?

Any help and information explaining this would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you,

FGump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2004, 11:03 PM   #2

Read the following threads where this topic has been covered exhaustively and then if you still have a question post it and we'll do the best to answer.

PKchopper is offline   Reply With Quote