Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 12, 2004, 10:22 AM   #1
Default Fuji S5000 or Minolta Dimage Z1??

I'm new to the digital camera worlds. As I look into differnt models I would like one that has a 10x optical zoom. I'm interested in using this for a point and shoot camera. I have no need for a $1000 camera. I want to stay under $400 yet still get good pictures. I doubt I will ever blow my pictures up past a 8x10. The two models above seem to fit my bill as I read the reviews and specifications. Could anyone supply me feedback on which I should buy??
Huntharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:12 AM   #2

I have used my sons S5000 and it takes very good photos. It is a well constructed camera and I would recommend it for a camera in your price range.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:39 AM   #3

Steve has reviews on both cameras. Check those out as well as the user comments and reviews.

If price is a big factor to you, you may find the Minolta a bit cheaper than the S5000 since Monolta has now come out with the Z2.

If you can find a store that has both you may want to check them out in person to see which fits you better. They are quite different in appearance. The S5000 looks more like a traditional camera and the Z1 looks like something off "Star Trek".

I have the Z1 and have been very pleased with it. It takes very good pictures and seldom disappoints. To me, the user interface (menus, set up, controls, etc. ) is very well thought out and simple to learn and use. It's fast (autofocus and shot to shot) and I like the switchable viewfinder/LCD screen because looking through the viewfinder yields the same view you see on the LCD. I'd rather take pictures looking through a viewfinder that looking at an LCD screen on the back of the camera. Some folks think the mirrored switching viewfinder may not be reliable. I have had absolutely no problem with it.

Of course, one man's trash is another man's treasure so take a look at the reviews, look at the cameras, and make your choice. I doubt if you will be disappointed either way you go.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote