Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Sep 1, 2002, 7:41 PM   #1
Default Pixel Resolution

I'm new to digital photography and I'm thinking of buying the Pentax Optio 330. I've downloaded some of Steve's sample jpeg images from this site (good range Steve), and on opening them in Photoshop noticed that while the pixel dimensions are 2048x1536, the resolution is only 72ppi. Is the reason for this because of posting images on the web, or is this the highest resolution of this camera? Someone please tell me that the finest/highest resolution images are 256 or even 300 pixels per inch...?
kiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2002, 8:07 PM   #2

72dpi is the gernal specification for screen resolution. Unfortunately that's far too low for printing. Pay it no mind. The 72dpi figure is just meta data embedded in most bitmaps. For the most part just ignore it.

For posting images online you should be more concerned with absolute image size. You'd probably want to resize your originals to something like 640x480.

Some editing programs like paintshop pro let you specify the dpi for an image. This is mainly a convenience so you can set 100% print size and know what you're going to get. For 2048x1536 images I might crop to 1920x1536 and set dpi to 192. If I was sending a bitmap to someone I know has a good color printer but isn't graphic savvy I might take this extra step.

[Edited on 9-2-2002 by padeye]
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote