Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:00 AM   #1
Default Flash shutter speeds

Most of the results from my Sony Cybershot P52 are fine for a family camera. However some indoor flash photos are spoilt by its slow flash shutter speed of 1/40sec.

This means that a moving subject on the fringe of the main flash lit area is not frozen by the flash and the slow speed allows it to "smear".

Any thoughts for cameras of this type that have faster flash shutter speeds. I'm sure I remember my old SLR was 1/125sec.

Cybershot455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 18, 2004, 11:19 AM   #2

My Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500) has a "slow shutter speed" menu that allows you to set the minimum speed used for flash photos.

It allows you to set the camera to use a minimum flash speed of 1/8, 1/15, 1/30, 1/60 or 1/125 second. The camera will prefer the speed set at wide angle, and go to even faster shutter speeds as more zoom is used to help prevent blur from camera shake.

BTW, this camera will also use Sony Memory Stick media (regular, not Pro). You can have both a Sony Memory Stick and a Secure Digital Card in the camera at the same time (you tell it which one to use first, and when it's full, it automatically switches to the other media type).

I bought this camera after returning a Sony DSC-P10 that I was not satisfied with.

On the downside, the redeye is pretty bad from Konica KD-510z/Minolta G500 built in flash. However, this is to be expected from any subcompact model with a flash located so close to the lens.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote