Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:21 PM   #11
Default Re: How many of You shoot at 3.2 format?????

Originally Posted by Ronnie948
our cameras will shoot at the same ratio as 35mm which is 3.2 on our menus. Is it worth using this if printing 5 X 7's and 8 X 10's and 11 X 14 size prints?
All this stems from history, and if you're not careful all the old stagers like me will pop out of their darkrooms and tell you all about the paper sizes we used to be able to buy: 5.5x3.5, 6x4, 8x6, 10x8, 12x10, 16x12, 20x16.

4:3 stems from the history of TV, CCDs and camcorders;
3:2 stems from the history of 35mm film;
the sizes I mentioned above stem from printing paper manufacturers and their machinery;
The 'golden mean' of 1.618:1 stems from maths and artistic history.

If you're lucky, one of these will fit your picture; if not, you'll need to crop. Take a stroll round your local real or virtual art gallery: Artists have done it by eye through the ages, and using the crop tool in your image editor, it's easier for you to make a picture that's easy on (or troubling to if you prefer) the eye then ever before. Make a masterpiece in your mind's eye - don't worry about the shape of the image until you crop it to fit your idea! You can produce dozens of variants if you want to.

But to answer your original question, I'd suggest it's better *not* to throw pixels away in haste and regret it later.
Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote