Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 22, 2004, 1:41 PM   #1
Default Not another "Help me decide"

I promised myself this wouldnt happen but here we are, I need your expert advise(s). The more I read and the more trips to my camera shop I make, the more I get confused. I'm looking for a point & Shoot that can grow and expand with me as I become better and better. I was originally set on the Canon A80 but now am looking at the Pentax Optio 555 and today at the store I saw the Sony DSC-V1, which was really nice with the Carl Zeiss optics and hotshoe. So which of the three would you advise for. The camera would be for family use, vacations, parties indoor/outdoor stuff. Thanks for your help
Mankal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 22, 2004, 3:30 PM   #2

The Sony V1 would be my pick. It's a powerhouse packed in a small camera. The 5MP brings amazing quality, and 4x optical zoom is great. The features are easy to use too. I have a F717, and the V1 is basically the F717 packed into a camera the size of a deck of cards. I have a friend who uses the A80, and I find that it lacks in zoom in particular. I like it but it just wouldn't be for me. The zoom is important, get as much optical zoom. Digital zoom is worthless. Read the reviews of each camera before you decide to purchase it.

Steve's Digicams and DPreview, I found are the best places for reviews.

Good luck!
CheckSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 5:36 PM   #3

also here is :arrow: http://www.dcresource.com/ good for reviews
SRSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 10:47 PM   #4
Default for sure..

get the V1 - it is super nice, my friend was amazed on how good the picture quality of the prints

She is going to junk her slr for a V1
Ching is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 7:43 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses guys/gals. I have already read all the "official reviews on major sites, but the deciding factor is often the consumer end user opinions. I'm leaning towards the DSC-V1, but have read that the colors are dull and that continuous mode only provides a three shot burst. Some reviews say red eye is terrible, others say its not bad. I guess I just have to take the plunge and see what happens,
Mankal is offline   Reply With Quote