Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 23, 2004, 5:17 PM   #1

How do people make links to sites that diplay pics?

I have looked at two places on the web that provide (free) photo upload and display services (kodak/ofoto and snapfish). They all require that I provide specific email addresses of those whom I want to give access to, and there-by send invitations to those email addresss to invite them to visit and see my pics.

It seems like folks on the forum have sites availabe that "anyone" can go to by clicking the link -- without a formal invite to a specific email address. Does this make sense? Am I missing something?

Is this telling me that I have to pay someone and create my very own personal website and then invite people to "my" website?
I am new to this, but I have some great pics of the High Sierras... if I can just get them uploaded.
JohnSt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2004, 6:31 PM   #2

There are lots of free services, and some even allow direct linking to photos, but there is usually a "catch" (unwanted advertising, bandwidth limitations, image size limitations, etc.).

Personally, I like pbase.com (not a free service). It's quite reasonably priced ($23.00/year for 100MB of storage, with unlimited bandwidth). You get custom stylesheets for your albums, ability to "direct link" to photos, personal forum, guestbook, messaging, ability to view photos in multiple sizes (small, medium, large, original), ability to upload multiple photos in a single .zip file, and much more.

Here is one of my albums at pbase.com:

I also use one other service (photoaccess.com). They do not allow direct linking to specific photos, but you can give a link to specific albums, with no login by a user required (unless you want it that way).

They make their money when users order prints, so you get unlimited free storage. Here is one of my albums there:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote