Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 24, 2004, 7:44 PM   #1

Default Please Help Tough Choice - DX6490 / C-740 / Dimage Z2?

I'm having a tough time deciding which camera out of these three is best for me.

Minolta Dimage Z2
Kodak DX6490
Olympus C-740 (Not 750)

I've pretty much narrowed it down to these 3 which are in my range. I've read a lot of reviews and opinions on forums but still having a tough time figuring out which one is best. Here is what im going to be doing and looking for.

- 10x Opitcal Zoom
- Point and Shoot ability but more importantly manual controls over aperture and shutter etc
- Best Image Quality Possible
- Won't be printing much higher then 8x10 probably and even then not very often but still would like best quality incase I do go higher

I'll be shooting mostly outdoor stuff like animals and nature / scenery / landscape photos. Occasionally people and architecture / city stuff as well. I'm not really concerned about the size of the camera or how fast it is between photos and startups since I won't be taking lots of action type shots. I'm still pretty much a begginer but also looking for something I can grow into.

All three of these cameras seem to be pretty close in everything so it's been tough trying to chose which one to go with. If anyone could give some advice it would be very helpful at this point. Thanks.
Pakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:08 PM   #2

I have a 6490 it is a great camera but I would put the Z2 ahead of it (it is newer and has a lot of features that I wish I had on the Kodak).

Think of it this way you end up with a camera that can make 15fps Continuous 800x600 pictures!!! and 10fps 1280x960.

The Olympus I would rate last.. It is the oldest tech and the lens was not very good on it (a lot of purple fringing). Good in its day but the Kodak and Minolta are better.

I would put the Panasonic FZ10 on the short list also IS really is worth an extra $50-$100.

Remember all these are pretty darn good cameras none of them are so much better than the others that I would advise the present owners to get one of the others (well maybe the FZ10).
And even though I did state the Oly is last in my opinion if you could get it for $100 or so less than the others it would be a hard decision.
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:16 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Castle.

You made a good point that I forgot about with the C-740 being older then the others. Only reason I really liked the Olympus was because it had more manual control but I've heard the Kodak lens is better as well.

Right now I'm leaning towards the DX6490 and the Dimage Z2. Like you said the Z2 is newer and it seems to be a really solid camera with more manual control then the Kodak and also faster for catching action stuff if I ever do.

Only thing I'm debating right now is I can get the DX6490 for $500.00 CAD while the Z2 is $590.00 or so at the cheapest and I'm not sure what it comes with in regards to batteries and memory but I'll research that some more now.

Going to be a tough choice since they are both pretty close in terms of quality and all that. Either way I think I'll end up with a very good camera and will be pretty happy.
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:47 PM   #4
pjz

Not sure if you are aware, but Olympus has released the 765. Check out Steve's review here:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/c765uz.html

I have been looking at this model, the Z2, and the Canon S1 IS (3MP) among others. I am still weighing the options and rummaging through the different reviews.
pjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 9:57 PM   #5

Not close...

Hands down Z2...

!0x optical zoom
uses 4AA batteries!!!
Only drawback is SD memory...I would prefer Compact Flash Ultra II.

digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 10:20 PM   #6

All the cameras he mentioned have 10x zooms

4x AA batteries .. Good but not a killer the battery in the Kodak is really long lasting (500 w/flash 900 w/o) and costs $23 for a second one.

The AA batteries will end up costing you that much by the time you get the fast charger and fast charging NIMH cells. 4AAs take more room than that mini lump of the Kodak.

Z2 for the features (if you think you will use them) 6490 for just great pictures, great glass and simple use.

(FYI all my prices are in USD).
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 12:25 AM   #7

A couple of things to keep in mind: the Kodak doesn't allow for manual focusing (I believe) but it does have higher ISO top end (800 vs. 400) and higher shutter speed (1700 vs. 1000). Those were three cameras I looked at (Z1 instead of Z2) and I went with the Z1 for speed plus manual options, and I didn't want something that felt like a point-and-shoot camera. There's been times doing sports shots, however, I wish the Minolta had more than 400 ISO and 1000 shutter speed. I'm seriously considering jumping to a Nikon D70 (should be tax write-off since I'm self-employed and it's a business expense) for even faster speed.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 11:06 AM   #8

Thanks guys for the suggestions but I decided on one a little while ago. Was close for me between the Olympus and Z2 but I went with the Olympus. Z2 was a little high on my price range and couldn't find it for less then $600 CAD which I didn't want to spend really.

I got the Olympus for $499 and was able to get a 128mb card , some Ni MH's and a charger and a bag so much better overall for me.

I ruled out the Kodak because of lack of manual features and the pictures looked too soft. Olympus had great photos , although sometimes noisy I havn't seen much evidence of it yet except in long exposure night shots and even then I can use editing to get rid of it somewhat.

Z2 seemed to have enough manual features and great pictures too but like I said price held me back a bit.

Anyways very happy with my Olympus so far and thanks for the replies from everyone.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 5:57 AM   #9

Did you consider the cheaper Z1?
stephendickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 8:08 AM   #10

I know it's a little late but I might as well try to promote a little buyer's remorse and suggest ex-post-facto the Panasonic FZ10. 12X zoom with stabilization. After trying out many a ultrazoom I can to the conclusion I would not buy a 10x zoom camera w/o stabilization. At full telephoto it's very hard to get clean shots unless you have lots of light and can use a short shutter speed. I've shot clean handheld 12x shots at full 420mm telephoto with shutter speeds as low as 1/30. On top of that the Leica lens on the FZ10 is a full f/2.8 throughout the entire zoom range. The Z2 cannot hold the f/2.8 throughout it's zoom range.

This is a picture I took at full telephoto (12X 420mm equivalent) with 1/30 sec shutter speeds. The Z1 I demos was sper fast, but int eh short time I had it the LCD/EVF flipping mechanism locked up and in dark shadowed shots such as that baby pigeon I could have never gotten that picture w/o a tripod. There is just too much camera shake at 10x to get consistent good shots without the stabilization. I do miss the speed of the Z1 though, it was a fast camera which was nice. This was taken with my $250 Panasonic DCM-FZ1

JinE is offline   Reply With Quote