Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 27, 2004, 3:30 PM   #1
Default Nikon D70 or Canon Digital Rebel for indoor studio work?

I'm looking for a digital SLR to take some simple product shots that I'll be using for both a catalog and my website based business. Should I go with the Nikon D70, the Canon Digital Rebel, or something else?
SCKLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:12 PM   #2

What's your setup? Do you have external strobes - then a PC socket is a good idea.

Do you need a tilt-shift lens to move the plane of focus - Canon has EF mount TS lenses....

Your post is vague...I'd read the existing reviews and look at some of the D70 vs. 300D postings in the various forums. If you have a specific question then post it.

Either are good cameras, each is better than the other is some respects, each has some failings...
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:10 AM   #3

D70 has a higher flash sync speed (upto 1/500s) which may be more useful in this situation.

However, either flash system are potentially very good (if you throw enough money at it), certainly good enough to cater for your needs.
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 12:37 PM   #4

I don't think the flash sync speed makes a difference in studio shoots. The studio strobes, for all practical purposes, determine the length of the exposure. A 1/500 sync is useful for outdoor portraits where you want a fast shutter speed (to keep the sky blue instead of washing out white) and want a fill flash too. There are other applications as well. Does anyone know if the D70 has a true 1/500 sync or is it a gimmick like the first Canon 1D?
Also, the D70 has a low ISO of 200; the DRebel goes to 100. Not that there's much noise at 200.
Also, the D70 lets you have more control over metering modes, but for the product shots you talk about doing you might be better off with a handheld flash meter.
I would choose the D70 over the DRebel but I'd take the 10D over them both.
Well, theres my 2 cents worth.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 1:56 PM   #5

Do you own any lenses or other attachments for either system?
That may help in decideing which to use.

If not, I agree with LTBerry I'd pick the eos-10D first followed by the D70 then the Drebel
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 2:25 PM   #6

For indoor portait shooting I would favor the 300D for image quality and detail. However if your going to use studio lighting then youll probably do better with the D70 since youll be able to maintain lower ISO's and have control over more manual features. Realistically as stated above ... if you already own significant nikon or canon glass... stay with them and get the camera to match. The 10D would be my 1st choice regardless... I would rather spend the extra $$ for the difference in functionality and if the camera is making you money youll soon reclaim the difference in $$ as opposed to us amatuer and shutterbugs.
mrkryz is offline   Reply With Quote