Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:04 PM   #1
Default Shooting Buildings and Rooms - with Digital SLR's

I'm getting a lot of request to shoot buildings and rooms etc. I have pretty much limited myself to digital photography which is pretty demanding and expensive.

The idea to buy a 4x5 camera to avoid pin cushioning depresses me and I'm not going to deal with wet chemistry film. I'm strictly a computer jockey and focused on digital.

I have two lenses the 12-24 and 35-85 for the D100 Nikon. I remember that Nikon used to make a Perspective Correction lens but that was I think an 85mm length and therefore useless in architeture. Does anyone know if in the Digital SLR if there is a lens or setup that is affordable for pretty good architecture shots. Thanks, Mark B.
Nikon D100; 24-85 Nikkor; 12-24 Nikkor; Event Photographer
mbuonanno@alum.mit.edu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 28, 2004, 6:07 PM   #2
Default Part II question to the first questions

2nd part to the first question.

Does Canon have a better solution in Digital SLR than Nikon for Shooting rooms and buildings. I spoke with a nikon rep and they said they didn't have a good solution other than to use my 12-24 at the 20 or above length to avoid pin cushioning. Seems lame.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 7:12 PM   #3

Canon does make a tilt-shift lens. It isn't the easiest thing to use, but it will correct this effect. I don't know what its focal length is, thought.

What size prints are you looking to make? For what purpose?

One of the questions is how much money are you willing to spend?

And you could use one of your lenses and correct in photoshop, I bet. How good a job you can do is the question. But you can always take some pictures and try it out.

eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 7:21 PM   #4

As a matter of fact canon has three lenses that'll work
tilt-shift lenses allow you to move the lens around to get the correction you need
they have the 24mm f3.5, a 45mm f2.8 and a 90mm f2.8
They aren't cheap, though.
There are ways in photoshop to correct perspective - with the crop tool click the 'perspective' box and adjust the sides of the crop until they line up with the walls. Not a perfect solution, but cheaper than a $1000 lens ($1049 at B&H)
I've also seen ads for a thingy that attaches to the front of a dslr with a bellows thingy. (excuse my technical jargon) I'll let you know when I track it down
Since I'm on a roll, I know that SinarBron Imaging makes large format cameras that are designed for digital backs, and they make digital backs up to 22mp. The backs are $30000, though. I'll have to hold off on that one for a few decades.
OK I'm done now.
LTBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2004, 9:30 PM   #5

Pros that shoot architecture with the intent of keeping lines rectalinear etc, usually go with most expensive large format wide angle lenses which have largest image circles for a given angle of coverage thus allowing huge movements. I don't suspect those Nikon or Canon 35mm lenses would improve reality in close confined quarters more than a modest amount.
bakpakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 2:35 AM   #6

I agree with LT Berry. I photograph Villas valued at over $1m for my job, both inside and out. The best way is with medium format (Digi back or not) with a grid on the prism/viewfinder. Use a 35 or 50mm lens and tilt shift if you can afford it. I HAVE used a Canon EOS 10d with wide angle anywhere between 15-50mm with 2 brollied flashheads and reflectors. You CAN correct very nicely in photoshop, by doing;

VIEW - Add grid
EDIT - Perspective/Distort etc.

Keep trying until it looks "Right". You CAN get some very desirable results. If I get time later I will post examples of both.

P.s. There is a digi back system with (Leaf) mamiya 6x4.5 (6mp) for $6,999.

Good luck,

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 8:41 PM   #7

In addition to the Canon tilt shift lenses (24, 40 & 90mm lengths i think) there are a third party russian lenses, there is both a shift only and tilt shift. It has a Nikon mount capability too.

Look at www.kievcamera.com, they are also on eBay a bunch too - lenses tend to be cheaper there as well.

I would think that the quality of the lens would be pretty good, the smaller sensor size of the 300D or D100 would help minimize problems.

I haven't used one - but it's on the list of 'like to haves' for me (EF mount). I could only justify the purchase of a fun lens like this if I didn't pay Canon prices.

NOTE: I haven't bought from these guys, so do your own research. Root around google and find a review, maybe try photo.net too as well as eBay.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2004, 12:35 AM   #8

thanks to everyone who answered. I feel I always owe you troopers out there who do. I think in summary I was unaware of perspective correction in Photoshop so this should bring me a long way. Also, seems while Canon has the tilt shift lenses with Digital Cameras that use the center of the lens more the ability to correct may be less. Regardless, clearly the medium format or larget fomat is the way to go and I'm probably not ready for additional investment just yet. So I'll try Photoshop and see how it goes. Thanks, Mark
Old May 2, 2004, 5:34 PM   #9

I may be wrong...but I think that with a smaller than 35mm sensor you would get more perspective controll from shifting not less.

Because you're moving an image circle the same amount (say 10mm) on a dSLR that would be a much larger amount in comparison to a full frame image.

Am I wrong? can't say I've tried this, hoping someone could confirm one way or another.

ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 7:35 AM   #10

IMO that's a lot of money to spend for the Tilt-Shift (and they don't even autofocus!) lenses when you can easily correct with post editing as long as you have the DOF...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote