Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > General Discussion

Old May 13, 2004, 3:21 AM   #1

I have been looking at a few photog magazines (Popular Photography, Shutterbug, & Photographic to be specific) and was considering subscribing to one of them. Photographic seems to be informative, costs less than the others ($9.97/year) and appears to have more articles and less advertising. Shutterbug for instance, is $17.95/year and is full of advertising! Why should I pay $20 to see advertisements?? Popular Photography is $12/year and of course is probably one of the more recognized magazine.

I am considering Photographic, but it appears that that magazine caters more towards film based photographers. The magazine has a contest and also a "point and shoot" homework assignment section and they will not accept digital submissions.

So, the question is: Which U. S. based magazine (you can pick from above, or make a recommendation of your own) would you lay down some $$ to receive on a monthly basis?

Thank you

PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 13, 2004, 7:32 AM   #2

I dont subscribe to any of them. I usually stop by Borders and look at each one and the international magazines and if there is a particular article I want to read I'll buy it. If you dont have time to go to your local book store, browse thier web sites for the latest issue and decide that way.
lieben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 10:05 AM   #3

I personally wouldn't subscribe to any of the three you mentioned for the exact reasons you state --- chock full of ads with sporadic content of substance. I do, however, subscribe to Outdoor Photographer and Nature Photographer primarilly because they specifically address my interests. In the case of Nature Photographer, stunning photographs and informative articles are the norm.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 10:16 AM   #4

I no longer buy/subscribe to any of our U.S. based camera magazines, especially the digital ones. I've found that they are incredibly biased towards advertisers, or in some cases (like eDigital) do reviews on cameras that are already being taken off shelves for new models.

I have found two U.K. based magazines that I really like. One is called "What Digital Camera" and the other one "Digital Camera Magzine" (which here is printed as Digital Camera WORLD since there's one here by the other name). Both are oversized magazines that offer reviews each month, as well as tutorials in Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. The Brits are VERY honest most times about how they feel about a camera. If it's crap - they'll say so in the magazine... something I can't ever remember being done in magazines here.

You can find them most likely at Barnes and Noble bookstores, but sometimes I can find them at Borders, too.

Greg

atlantagreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2004, 5:41 PM   #5

atlantagreg wrote:
Quote:
I no longer buy/subscribe to any of our U.S. based camera magazines, especially the digital ones.
Quote:
I have found two U.K. based magazines that I really like.
Quote:
I agree, the UK magazines are ten times better than the US. The same holds true for UK computer magazines, but subscribing to a UK mag from the US is a little out of my budget! Example: What camera for 1 year is $71.06!
PrmseKpr is offline   Reply With Quote